Thread: Raw goat hide wieght?

Default Raw goat hide wieght?

What should I expect a hide to weigh by the time I get it cleaned for the flight home?[wet and dry]
    How about meat ,What would you expect the weight of a good billie ,to be for a checked bag?

Just flew two home and I'm thinking 70 lbs. of meat with some small bone on,,, 30 lbs. max on hide and horn ours were wet and skulls were still in the hide with hoofs. If I remember right.

boned out big billy off kodiak are usually around 80-90lb on meat weight i'd say 30 is pretty close on a lifesize goat hide...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks Jake and Trakn ,I'll bring 1 large cooler and pay the extra weight charge to fly it home.
    I might try "carry on" with the hide ,I have done this with caribou and moose befor and got away with it.

The goat I killed on Kodiak last year, had 93 lbs of boned out meat and the hide with the feet and skull still in it weighted 53lb. Make sure to bring something to put on the horn tips. Those things are crazy sharp and poked through one of my bags before I got smart.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

so you should be able to get around 40lbs if you flesh out the hide and salt it i'd imagine, thanks for the numbers steve!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I just took a 9.25" Billie on Kodiak last week and just weighed it a couple of hours ago (as it is on its way to the taxidermist) the hide weighed 38.5 lbs with skull and hooves attached (it was a nice goat but not huge) my partner shot one on the same hunt that I would guess was in excess of 40 lbs. Already processed the meat but a nice billy boned out is in the 70-90 lb range.

Best of luck...

This sounds right. I have hauled two full hides w/ skull and hooves plus some meat and a couple rifles with a days hunting gear a couple miles at one time in the mountains and it was not a very fun endeavor!!

just weighed mine out, 46.5 pounds. very big bodied old billie. hide was well fleshed, with head and hooves still attached. we didnt field bone the meat and hauled out about 110 pounds of meat. good luck on your hunt!

Thanks everyone ,36 days to lift off.