Thread: Sonar/Gps riverboat

Default Sonar/Gps riverboat

I am purchasing a Jetcraft XS and would like to know what others have done as far as mounting transducers for sonar. Also, has anyone ran an internal GPS antenna under a soft top or do I need an external antenna? Thanks, John

Default GPS,Transducer

I have a Garmin w/ internal antenna in my boat that has a canvas top. Seems to work well. Haven't had any problems with it. The transducer for my depth finder is mounted to a bracket which is welded to the transom and bottom. I cracked the transducer pivot late last fall when I went up on a gravel bar. I was wondering if a through hull transducer works on aluminum. It would be nice if it did.

Default Thru-hull transducer

I was wondering about that as well and was hoping somebody has used this type, or knows if it can be done. John

Check http://www.vexilar.com/products/accessory.html
    I've used one for 3 years on the Yukon and Tanana and wouldn't consider going back to an external mount.

Default Thanks,

I'm gonna get one. I'll let you know how it works. John

Default Alumaducer

Airmar website's "sounder" issue June 2006 says they tested their "competitors" product, provides results, and says all claims of zero signal loss are physically impossible and performance is not very good.......Has anybody put the Alumaducer on a 3/16" hull and had it work very well? Thin john boats are less of a problem............

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    I have a Garmin w/ internal antenna in my boat that has a canvas top. Seems to work well. Haven't had any problems with it. The transducer for my depth finder is mounted to a bracket which is welded to the transom and bottom. I cracked the transducer pivot late last fall when I went up on a gravel bar. I was wondering if a through hull transducer works on aluminum. It would be nice if it did.

A thru-hull transducer will work an any type of hull because you actually have to drill through the hull and put the transducer through that. That is not very popular for a river boat becuase obviously its going to be hanging below the hull a little bit.

You might be thinking of an "in-hull." With an in-hull, you actually just put it on the inside of your hull and secure it with silicone. Unfortunaly, it cannot ping through aluminum. It can ping through fiberglass and wood up to about 1/4 inch thick i believe.

The most popular type in alaska on a river would be the transom-mount. that hangs off the back of the boat. Some humminbirds have a mount for it that will kick up if it is hit. I have not seen those for a while though. Most other brands do not have that feature though, so if you do break the mount you have to either buy a whole new transducer or call the manufacturer and have them send you a new bracket.

Any GPS that has an internal antenna will go through a canvas top. they can go trough a windshield if the GPS is pushed far up against the window.

Don't ask me why I know this info...

Default depth sounder

I have used the "in-hull" transducer in my Alweld with .100 hull for several years. It's the Vexilar mentioned by Godevilalaska in a previous post. The company designs the transducer to shoot through an aluminum hull and they furnish a special epoxy to adhere it to the hull. I bought mine off ebay and used a good grade of epoxy and it works fine. There may be some signal degradation but on the rivers, where it's seldom deeper than 40 ft, I haven't noticed any. The thing I like about it is it doesn't get torn off when running real shallow and a flasher tells me what is under my boat at 25 mph. The LCD etc. displays always showed me what I had gone over 50 ft back. The fact is, they will shoot through aluminum and do it well.

Default correct

Sorry, forgot to add that to my post. There are a few brands out there that make such a thing, but they only work up to a certain thickness of aluminum and dont work with every brand of GPS. But yes, they do exist.

Default GPS

As far as the gps antenna , I have used the internal one on my garmin's for years. I had one in my 24' glasply cabin cruiser, a fishrite hard-top and now on my 22'Hewescraft SR hard top. I have used these boats in Homer, Seward, Whittier, and on the Yukon. I wouldn't add another ext ant that might be in the way or a chance of breaking off. Hope this helps

Question Internal or External

I have used both internal and external GPS antennas. I had a Garmin handheld that was an internal mount. I now have a Lowrance 3500c with an external antenna. I find with an external antenna it comes up quicker.

I also have a hummingbird fish finder with the transom mount. It does a good job of kicking up when I go through skinny water.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default fish finder

I also have the hummingbird transom mount. As I am a first season river boater, I have spent some time on the gravel bars that you can find if you try hard enough on Alaska rivers. The swing on the mount has saved the unit ever time. I'll not post how many times to save some dignity, but enough that I have lots of confidence in the set-up. As a side note, has anyone else ever found that pike don't necessarily show up on the finder? I have caught pike many time right under the boat but see only "junk" on the finder. Though these "junk" images are shaped just like pike. Thoughts??