Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographing your catch (and release)

Default Photographing your catch (and release)

I've been thinking about all these pictures of fish & the happy fishermen who get to hold them and I have a few thoughts. How about spending less time framing in your face and more effort getting that fish back in the water. I love pictures of beautiful trout, but most pictures I see dont focus on the trout so much, but the person who caught the trout holding the fish and the pretty background, etc...
    Nobody needs proof that you can catch fish (look, ma! there i am and there is the fish that I caught).
    So I say- take a picture of the fish....not your face.

And I know there will be a few who chime in about how they have a good routine down for a smooth hook removal/photo/release and to them I say GOOD FOR YOU. But I doubt its that smooth 100% of the time and I'd wager that many C&R anglers lack good fish handling experience due to inexperience and thats perfectly ok. Just asking people to think a little about the harm they could be inflicting.

As C&R fishermen we have to become comfortable in our own minds about a certain level of mortality associated with our hobby. But we are responsible to MINIMIZE this in any way, and I dont really regard you fishing photographers as taking all the necessary steps to minimize trout mortality.

Just something to think about as we move into some prime time trout fishing. I cant wait, and best of luck to you all.

Lake Trout release Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	52570

The best way to minimize the impact of catch and release fishing is not to catch anything. Stabbing a metal object into anything's head will have a severe impact on that creature's immediate well-being.

Folks want to take a picture of a fish or two a season, go ahead. Try to leave the fish safely so we can catch it or it's offspring in the future.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Bigfish, thanks for the insight. There is a stickie for correct C&R procedures all ready on here for everyone to read. If you believe people cant take a quick picture of their catch and release it safely, I can only conclude that you base this idea off of your own handling of fish. Fish are resilient and there are many anglers on here that have high fish handling skill. Being a knowledgable angler is for each angler to figure out on there own. I feel like capturing a quick pic of an awesome catch is up too you, do it or dont, but thats for the individual angler to decide for themselves. As long as its legal, Rock It!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Bigfish, thanks for the insight. There is a stickie for correct C&R procedures all ready on here for everyone to read. If you believe people cant take a quick picture of their catch and release it safely, I can only conclude that you base this idea off of your own handling of fish. Fish are resilient and there are many anglers on here that have high fish handling skill. Being a knowledgable angler is for each angler to figure out on there own. I feel like capturing a quick pic of an awesome catch is up too you, do it or dont, but thats for the individual angler to decide for themselves. As long as its legal, Rock It!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The best way to minimize the impact of catch and release fishing is not to catch anything. Stabbing a metal object into anything's head will have a severe impact on that creature's immediate well-being.

Folks want to take a picture of a fish or two a season, go ahead. Try to leave the fish safely so we can catch it or it's offspring in the future.
    + 1 to both of you. While I understand that there is a certain amount of harm done to the fish regardless of what you do this is the best fishing I am personally probably ever going to experience. This probably holds true for many others. I dont see the harm in holding the fish out of water for a few seconds to snap a quick pic. If you properly revive it before releasing there should be no harm done. Well no more than hooking it anyway.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Frank, I was gonna say virtually the same thing. I'm not about some guy all up in my business. If a guy wants a pic the fish can wait. I appreciate the passion but no more C&R cops please! Let a guy alone

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Please stop hurting the fish. Best way to do that is for you all to stop fishing. bigfish6025 has a good point and you guys need to stay off the river.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Please stop hurting the fish. Best way to do that is for you all to stop fishing. bigfish6025 has a good point and you guys need to stay off the river.
    Yeah. What he said!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I've been thinking about all these posts concerned with somebody elses business and the idiotic posters who post them and I have a few thoughts. How about spending less time on the internet and more effort into something productive like fishing. I love the drama, but most threads I see don't focus on the positives of fishing, but rather the opinions of folks who think they are gods gift to flyfishing...

Nobody needs proof that you're a jackass (look world, this is me, posting more stupid crap)
    So I say-get off the computer ....and go fishing

And I know there will be a few who chime in about how the first amendment gives them the right to free speech, and to them I say GOOD FOR YOU. But I doubt that they think about what they are posting 100% of the time and I'd wager that many posters lack intelligence and reasoning due to inexperience and thats perfectly ok. Just asking people to think a little about the drivel they post on the internet.

As fellow forum members we have to become comfortable in our own minds about a certain level of stupidity associated with our hobby. But we are responsible to MINIMIZE this in any way, and I don't really regard you "holier than thou" posters as taking all the steps necessary to do so.

Just something to think about as we move into the slow season where people post more and fish less.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    I've been thinking about all these pictures of fish & the happy fishermen who get to hold them and I have a few thoughts. How about spending less time framing in your face and more effort getting that fish back in the water. I love pictures of beautiful trout, but most pictures I see dont focus on the trout so much, but the person who caught the trout holding the fish and the pretty background, etc...
    Nobody needs proof that you can catch fish (look, ma! there i am and there is the fish that I caught).
    So I say- take a picture of the fish....not your face.

And I know there will be a few who chime in about how they have a good routine down for a smooth hook removal/photo/release and to them I say GOOD FOR YOU. But I doubt its that smooth 100&#37; of the time and I'd wager that many C&R anglers lack good fish handling experience due to inexperience and thats perfectly ok. Just asking people to think a little about the harm they could be inflicting.

As C&R fishermen we have to become comfortable in our own minds about a certain level of mortality associated with our hobby. But we are responsible to MINIMIZE this in any way, and I dont really regard you fishing photographers as taking all the necessary steps to minimize trout mortality.

Just something to think about as we move into some prime time trout fishing. I cant wait, and best of luck to you all.

I have an idea, lets turn Alaska into Kalifornistan! No fishing, no hunting, no guns, no cameras! Hollyweird here we come! At least the fish will be ok!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Just asking people to think a little about the drivel they post on the internet.
    I bet there's someone out there reading what you post and thinking something kinda along the same lines.

I like Frank's attitude. Catch and release is ethically sticky, but we fish anyway (and love it). I think we're all trying to increase the fish's chances for survival and I guess it's a legitimate question whether the grip-and-grin stuff is harmful. I don't do it but I'm usually fishing alone, anyway. And I do have to say that when fish around other people I see some fish handling that is just nasty and doesn't have anything to do with taking pictures. I don't know how much damage holding a fish up to take a picture does but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as hauling a grayling in over some rocks, pulling it up out of the water by its mouth, and then throwing it six feet out in the water from waist-high.

some more wasted space on a thread.............now all we are misisng is one certain person posting on here about how great the companies are.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Nobody needs proof that you're a jackass (look world, this is me, posting more stupid crap)
    So I say-get off the computer ....and go fishing
    but I haven't posted my quota of stupid crap for the day...ok fine I'm going fishing...pics to follow

I'm taking a poll

it's not as bad as hauling a grayling in over some rocks, pulling it up out of the water by its mouth, and then throwing it six feet out in the water from waist-high.
    This is a whole separate issue. Thats abuse or molestation as the regs read and is illegal. Something needs to be said to that person not here on the internet *****ing about taking pictures.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post

+1 REP for you sir
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Franken Fish again.

Your tolerence of others and acceptance of having opposing view points is evident in your post, nice job.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Franken Fish again.

Your tolerence of others and acceptance of having opposing view points is evident in your post, nice job.
    Well he has a point. Whether or not it needs to be pushed on others its his. Plus we are actually good friends in real life. He means well, doesn't mean he can't get a little ribbing from a buddy!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Wow, this wasn't very popular. I'm talking about pictures like the one laker taker took- that's one to be proud of. My post may have come off preachey but my intent was that it was as much about aesthetics as it was ethics. I didnt want to start an argument about whether or not holding a fish up for a few seconds is gonna kill it- I know that it won't. I also didnt want to start a discussion generalizing about peoples fish handling skills or the blanket statement that 'fish are resilient' like the direction frank goes in, which is pointless and impossible to quantify.
    This thread was just an appeal to people who DO choose to photograph their catch to zoom in/frame in on the fish and not your dumb faces. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    Wow, this wasn't very popular. I'm talking about pictures like the one laker taker took- that's one to be proud of. My post may have come off preachey but my intent was that it was as much about aesthetics as it was ethics. I didnt want to start an argument about whether or not holding a fish up for a few seconds is gonna kill it- I know that it won't. I also didnt want to start a discussion generalizing about peoples fish handling skills or the blanket statement that 'fish are resilient' like the direction frank goes in, which is pointless and impossible to quantify.
    This thread was just an appeal to people who DO choose to photograph their catch to zoom in/frame in on the fish and not your dumb faces. haha.
    +1-way to handle the ribbing for being d ouchesque

I'm taking a poll

I love a good release picture of just the fish, water starting to wash over its belly in preparation for its release. Fully framed in the photo, all the other clutter removed, just the fish. Close to the water, where if its dropped only a picture is lost, and the fish doesn't die as a result of a 6 foot fall onto the rocks and gravel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast