Thread: Moldy carpet- how to prevent it?

Default Moldy carpet- how to prevent it?

004.jpg

I need some help/advise for moldy carpet on the boat. I'm getting ready to winterize it and give it 1 final cleaning before wrapping it up for the season, but the carpet will no doubt be damp (it sits outside, exposed) so what can I put on it or treat it with before covering it? Thanks.

-Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Get out as much moisture as possible with a wet/dry vac, then spray with 10% bleach - 90% water. Test an area to make sure it wont alter color.

Don't button up the boat so tight that it "seals" it from any exchange of fresh air during the winter months.
    If you shrink wrap it or tarp it, leave a couple ventilation holes that do not allow rain or snow in.
    You want fresh air through the boat during storage.
    As far as getting rid of your current mold, I'm sure some commercial carpet cleaner exists that would fit your needs. Heck, stop by West Marine or an auto detail shop and see what they recommend.
    BK

Default Mold removal

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    004.jpg

I need some help/advise for moldy carpet on the boat. I'm getting ready to winterize it and give it 1 final cleaning before wrapping it up for the season, but the carpet will no doubt be damp (it sits outside, exposed) so what can I put on it or treat it with before covering it? Thanks.

-Grizz
    I use clorox cleanup for mold/algee on carpet. Check the color fast on a hidden area then clean with spray, brush, water. This will only get worse if left on..it grows! Also I found by NOT closing the door on my covered boat, I have very little mildew to clean in the spring. When I used to close the door I spent about two days on my back in the v berth cleaning carpet. Never realized how much carpet (including the ceiling) there is unitl I closed the door 10 years ago on my covered boat in "dry" Old Girdwood one winter. Now if I could just keep the neighbors cat outta there!

Step 1: remove carpet....

Just kidding, what you need to do is store your boat next to a place with electricity and buy one of those plug in oil filled heaters and put the setting on low we do this in our boat and the boat stays dry and mold free.

Sobie2

Cats do not like mouse traps set where they enter/exit the boat under the cover. Set 'em in place where they will have to trip 'em getting in or out. Doesn't hurt the cat either, (unfortunately..he-he-he).
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Step 1: remove carpet....
    Just kidding, what you need to do is store your boat next to a place with electricity and buy one of those plug in oil filled heaters and put the setting on low we do this in our boat and the boat stays dry and mold free.
    Sobie2
    I still think step 1 is the best solution. Carpeting and boats are a bad mixture.
    Tennessee

I thought everyone liked to see chickweed growing in the carpeted tray below the rod holders. That seems to the only place i get mold\vegitation growing. I have scrubbed with detergent (car wash shop) and other cleaning products and have never be able to totaly kill the stuff. It last about a month and it comes back. the water drains out of the tray but i think since it doesnt get much "sun" it never dries the carpet out.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Hmmmm..............now you have me thinking. Put a little dirt in the tray, some seeds, and viola! Fresh veggies to munch on on those long river trips.

I'll bring the salad dressing.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    004.jpg

-Grizz
    You can try the Absorbent containers folks use in RV to keep moisture down during the winter months. Same stuff you use for long term storage of fire arms. Desiccants http://tinyurl.com/3uh2u9g

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I still think step 1 is the best solution. Carpeting and boats are a bad mixture.
    Not to hijack my own thread, but I think carpet removal is the best bet. I know someone on the forum has Rhinolined (or similar) their boat, so how difficult of a project is it?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

got to do more than just keep it dry .... I own 5 apartment buildings with lots of bathrooms and people that do not like to clean, need to add bleach to the answer ...... http://www.ehow.com/how_5626887_kill...-solution.html

An on the water green house now there's thought
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

A good pressure washer to remove the veggies then a good dose of bleach does the trip. I have to do it every year when the cotton woods blows and the rain falls. Green stuff happens!

Thanks for all the info guys! I pressure wash the boat after every trip, but it sits outside and doesn't dry all the way. I'll give the bleach a try.