Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Mountain Goat; NOT Good

Default Brown Mountain Goat; NOT Good

I've got a buddy holed-up in his tent, holding on for dear life. HE will be okay, but:

His hunting partner went out yesterday and has not returned. It's been 24 hours. He has no overnight gear.

There's a gale hanging over the coast and the Troopers cannot get in for at least the next 2 days.

He's been doing short searches but thus far has no clue.

If any of you have contact with hunters in the Brown Mountain area, please notify them to be alert for a possible casualty.

Bummer.

I'll post updates.

Taylor

Has this been reported to the coast guard? They are far better equipped for this than the Troopers.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Debris shelters, everyone should practice building debris shelters, and Always carry survival gear, the life you save may be your own.

lets hope he's one of ak's hard core hunters that is comfortable in bad places....hope it all works out well!! prep guys...prep.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

That is an excellent comment. One has to think "worst case" all the time. I sincerely hope for the best here, but fear for the worst.

In the past 3 days, our area of Japan around Osaka has been hit with a fairly severe typhoon, with hard rain, flooding, mudslides, roads collapsed, heavy wind gusts, etc. Thus far we have 29 dead and 51 missing, which normally translates here to 80 dead.

It gives me a sense of what conditions in AK must be like -- plus low temperatures. I would really not like to be out in such weather even with plenty of survival gear.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Debris shelters, everyone should practice building debris shelters, and Always carry survival gear, the life you save may be your own.

Oh boy, it sounds serious. Hoping he has the skill and fortune to get out of the situation.
    I am assuming a "debris shelter" is using any natural material found in your location to build a crude structure?

You never know, Had a routine snow machine trip turn into a tense moment while lost 100 Miles due north of Anchorage. got lost from my party. Pulled out the road Flares, and other gear from day pack. Had a roaring fire and a deep hole dug in less than 20 minutes. First thing I did when I had that feeling in my gut that we all get. Friends found me much later that night and we made it back to the cabin safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to the brother alone in the woods. Come Home safe! prayers sent. Jeff

Best wishes for your friends - friend Marc, may God bring him home safe...
    Going out alone in a harsh environment always has a higher degree of risks for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Oh boy, it sounds serious. Hoping he has the skill and fortune to get out of the situation.
    I am assuming a "debris shelter" is using any natural material found in your location to build a crude structure?
    A debris shelter does not have to be crude, if the survivor starts early enough on construction. If you add in small piece of 6 mill vis-queen or a space blanket or quality disposable bivvy bag.
    I would strongly encourage anyone with children over age 3 or 4 to make a game with them to build a safe debris shelters yearly. I have debris shelters all over the Chugach National Forest. They will last five, and up to ten years.
    Of all the crap they teach in schools, basic arctic wilderness survival is something kids would love to learn, and could save their life.

We are luck here in the SE as you can put something together fairly fast and winter in it if needed..
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Think a new thread to post your thoughts on how to survive a few nights out in a tough situation is in order. Anyone want to get that started? Every year we have these things happen. always good for folks to put aside their opinions and put any information out there that might get a person safe to his or her families. After all that is what we as Alaskans do, survive and help each other out; or is that as old fashioned as knowing how to build a debris shelter?

It only took me one night of misery to change how I roll. I never leave camp without siwash gear. My prayers go out to our brothers in harms way, may God see them safely back home to their loved one.

Please let this serve as a reminder to all goat hunters to make smart choices and to be prepared for the unexpected.

Having been in dire circumstances goat hunting myself, I can relate and wish them both a safe return.

Please keep us posted Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Nothing else like this to remind us all to stay smart out there.

Praying for your friends' safe return.

Good reminder to go prepared. I carry 3 days worth of gear even if it's for a 1 day trip.

Hope all is well.

Alaska is like no other but it can be cruel at times.We must always respect nature and take precautions I have been in some bad situations but I try to learn from them.I always try to stay with my hunting partner splitting up can be disatrous.Hope this story ends in a positive way will be pulling for home.Thanks for sharing Mark.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Ugh... That's tough. Anyone who has spent time in the woods knows what's it's like to be cold, hungry, and lost. I hope everyone makes it off the mountain safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Think a new thread to post your thoughts on how to survive a few nights out in a tough situation is in order. Anyone want to get that started? Every year we have these things happen. always good for folks to put aside their opinions and put any information out there that might get a person safe to his or her families. After all that is what we as Alaskans do, survive and help each other out; or is that as old fashioned as knowing how to build a debris shelter?
    Here it is. There is a complete forum on it here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Emergency-Care

And another good link here:
    http://www.lastalive.com/survival_gu...c_survival.htm
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Here it is. There is a complete forum on it here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Emergency-Care

And another good link here:
    http://www.lastalive.com/survival_gu...c_survival.htm
    Thanks AKhunter, just thought it was time to have a refresher.Some guys just come on here looking for hunting spots. I am glad you put this here and they can follow the posts to remind themselves. I did this as well 5 years ago when I discovered the internet :O) thank you sir for the reminder and the posting. Jeff

Please keep us posted Marc. Really sorry to hear about this; and your friend has to be beside himself not knowing...

Are you in contact with him?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    It only took me one night of misery to change how I roll. I never leave camp without siwash gear. My prayers go out to our brothers in harms way, may God see them safely back home to their loved one.

Please let this serve as a reminder to all goat hunters to make smart choices and to be prepared for the unexpected.

Having been in dire circumstances goat hunting myself, I can relate and wish them both a safe return.

Please keep us posted Sir.

Steve
    Steve, one thing I've done if my partner and I are hunting solo out of the same camp... hang a flashing strobe from the ceiling of the tent. They're great on batteries and they turn the whole tent into a giant strobe light. MUCH easier to find it if you come in late. The ACR Firefly Plus is a really good one I've used. I think Eagle Enterprises carries them.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast