Thread: New to Duck Hunting

Default New to Duck Hunting

Hey, I am new to duck hunting been only twice when I was younger but I am especially new to it in Alaska. I am on leave this week and was looking for some general areas and advice on hunting. I am not asking for secret spots but just somewhere to get started so I can scout on my own. Thanks a lot for your time and all help is appreciated.

It all depends on where you are stationed? Are you in Fairbanks or Anchorage? If your up here in Fairbanks I could help you out and I'm sure there's a lot more that would be willing to help you out as well. As for secret duck spots I don't think there are any! I know no matter where I go there's at least 2 other people there!

Yeah I guess telling where I am at would help out a lot lol. I am in Anchorage, I just not sure where to start I also should've mentioned I have a canoe. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanFirstClass View Post

looking for some general areas and advice on hunting. I am not asking for secret spots but just somewhere to get started so I can scout on my own.
    With a canoe you can go to the Jim Creek swamps off of Maud Road or the Hay flats using Rabbit Slough. For a new hunter on their own the Jim Creek swamps would be a little safer and easier to handle.

There are many areas or places in Mud and Gull lakes to use a canoe to access and set up along a bank. On the "beaver dam" there are old blinds you can set up and and hide the canoe behind with some camo netting. You can also jump shoot as you paddle around the grass. The Gull and Mud lake complex is pretty large and holds birds, and when there are few hunters out there they don't move. Safety tips are be careful about getting out of the boat. Some spots are fine just a little mucky up to the knee, but other spots are over your head in muck. Also don't park down on the launch ramp at Mud lake. Launch and then drive your rig back up top and park it. Lots of canoeist and kayakers park down below and end up blocking the ramp for those of us that have boats on trailers.

For basic access info use the search function for Maud road, or review the various "I'm new" or "where to go" posts the last two weeks. Lots of info has already been posted to answer your question.

Thanks buddy much appreciated, I am holding on buying the decoys until the next paycheck so Jump shooting sounds interesting.