Thread: hunting the last days of season

Default hunting the last days of season

This is going to be the first time ive hunted this late in the season and was wondering if anyone has any advise on stradegy. im going from the 22nd till the 25th, up near ruby lake/ kings river, will 4wheel up to lake then go on foot. im assuming calling and scraping will work wonders but i have never used my caller before, would it be better to call near a clearing ir in the thick? any advise would be apreciated

Personally I wouldn't bother with that area right area right now. I hunted it opening morning and it was a zoo. The only legal bull I saw got shot and speaking to the guy who shot it and claimed to hunt the area slot for other game said he's confident that his spike was the only legal bull in the area. I did see some sublegal Padle horns and one that got shot. But after what I experienced and saw I wouldn't hunt it this gear. I went elsewhere a few days later and shot one. you might get lucky though andcall one in from farther away. Good looking country though. Good luck

im open to suggestions on an area? that and biglake is the only places ive hunted before and am not sure of other places. im taking my 9 yr old son on his first hunt so i was looking for a place where the terrain isnt to advanced. im not looking for the biggest, moreso something to fill the freezer. I am perfectly happy with a lil spike/ fork combo. thanks for the intell on ruby lake

At the end of the season you are likely to see moose noone as seen all season. The bulls are moving and there is no telling where you'll see them or not see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with that area right area right now. I hunted it opening morning and it was a zoo.
    i second that, i drove by that area the last two days of the season last year and i dont think that you could squeeze another truck and wheeler trailer in that pull off. houston, willow, or maybe even trapper creek might be some choices. good luck.

I donít hunt the area so I canít say if it good or not, one thing I can say is I would not tell people on a forum if it was over run by hunters and there no moose. Itís the end of the season and like jkb said the bulls can be any ware. If I do not hunt the area it would be to my advantage to sent you and ever one else there leaving my area free to hunt. Just something you might think about.

i hunted the area last year and pulled one outa there but it was earlier in the season. mainly i was posting cuz ive never hunted this late in the game. it just happened that my work schedule changed and now im at work till then. as far as the traffic up there, i know its one of the high traffic trails but i gotta take into consideration a good half the people up there are just playing on the rubylake trail.
    i guess more specific answeres im looking for is, is hunting during rutt any different then before? should i stick to thicker areas or clearings and mabe since they are rutting anyone know if they are more mobile during the day?
    I understand these might be ubsurd questions but if not asked then they will never get answered.
    thanks gents