Thread: Alpha Fur Dressers

Default Alpha Fur Dressers

Was wondering if anyone ever used Jerry Jacobs --Alpha Fur Dressers for bear hides. This is my first bear hunt and hopefully I will have one to tan in a few weeks. I have heard so many horror stories (not about Jerry) but about other tanners who end up shrinking bears so badly that they look nothing like they did when dropped off. I understand that all hides shrink a certain percentage in the process but I don't want a 8 1/2 footer turning into a 7 foot bear. I would appreciate any info, advice or experience on this topic. Thanks a lot. If you prefer to pm me, that's okay too.

They all shrink during the tanning process, when you take them to the taxidermist they will soak them and stretch them out when you get your rug done...If that is a true 8 1/2 footer..he will be a nine by the time the rug is done..lol. Dont fret it...I had my first Brown Bear from Kodiak done by them and am very pleased and satisfied with thier work. I have taken everything to them..goats for rugs, black bears etc and never had an issue...I ran a taxidermy bussiness for 8 years, from that standpoint, they do a great job.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Alpha did my grizzly last fall. Great job on the hide and the bleached skull. Its where my guide prefers to go and he wouldn't be screwing around with some flea bag operation. Good luck on your hunt!

He did mine last year, and seems to have done a great job.

I dropped mine off to him on august 8th and got it back last week looks great. No quams about him at all and his price was right.

Default ...

Had done quite a few Musk Ox from up here and I know guys that just have bears tanned with him and he has done a decent job.

My preference is to do as I do with my trapped critters: stretch/dry and send to Moyles.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Alfa Fur Dressers is by far the best local option for tanning(IMHO). They have done three bears for me. Timely good quality work at a fair price.

I've been using Alpha (Gary) for years as the primary tannery for my taxidermy business with great results.

Thanks for the info fellas. I appreciate your thoughts and information!

Give Trophy Taxidermy in Palmer a call.
    Everything is done on location by a long time Alaskan.
    BK

Decisions decisions...

Thus far: Alpha, Fosters, Knight's, Trophy taxi...What's a guy to do????

I use Alpha fur dresser for about 90% of the work I take in.. 99% of the bears I take in go their.. sheep, goats and moose.. I self tan some small stuff.. fox, coyotes, ermines.. etc.. African goes to the lower 48.. I have not had 1 major issue since i've used them starting in 2002.

I do know the guy is busy.. huge orders come in from several taxidermist across the state, Guides dropping stuff off for clients.. etc.. Also have to remember the tanneries work on a cycle.. ie, goat and sheep together, moose and bou.. bears... then all the small fur.. musk ox and bison seperate also.. So if you drop stuff off in the middle of a cycle.. It will have to run its course.. Better yet, just call Gary and ask what is the status.. If you call every day.. he will likely move your order to the back.. FYI..

Hoytguy

ive had a couple bears done by alpha and was pretty satisfied. didn't get a rug or a mount made just a tan and turned out pretty well. the guy i talk to on the phone is pretty easy going, kinda gruff and to the point which is great because i dont want to hear a lot of b.s. just how much and when will it be done. its always been done quickly and i had the bears back in a few months a maybe a little sooner. i did have a wolf tanned there where the claws fell off?? but no big deal. anyways i would take my next bear there so thats my .02.