Thread: Inbound from Hawaii

Default Inbound from Hawaii

Hey guys I was looking for some info on salmon/halibut fishing in a kayak around the deep creek area. I used to live in AK a few years ago and had to relocate to Hawaii but I'm on my way back in a few months. I've got pretty big into kayak fishing and I wanted to see if people are launching on the beach over in that area and what type of techniques your using. I've gone on guide boats that we launched out of deep creek and trolled in about 15-25 feet of water about 150 yards offshore with spinners and cut plug herring, I figured I can do the samething but the currents are little more extreme so I wanted to be safe about it.

Welcome! I grew up on the Peninsula and now live in Anchorage. I started out kayak fishing for real just this year. Did manage a few kings and small halibut. I was under gunned with a mini-x but now have upgraded to a hobie outback.

Already looking forward to next spring. You can see the STEEP learning curve (like you have to net your own fish) and my trials and tribulations and a few successes along the way on my blogs. http://guidesak.blogspot.com Despite the name, its non-commercial and personal logs. Take a look at my blogs in Late April through May.

Thanks for the reply man, I've had my share of trials and tribulations here as well but the conditions are more forgiving, if you fall in the water here it's nice and warm. So what kind of protective gear do you wear as far as keeping dry and warm? How do you like your Hobie, I have a scupper pro full rigged but I'm looking at getting the Hobie Oasis tandem when I save the $$$yak_5.jpgyak_6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AKFISHRIPPER View Post
    Thanks for the reply man, I've had my share of trials and tribulations here as well but the conditions are more forgiving, if you fall in the water here it's nice and warm. So what kind of protective gear do you wear as far as keeping dry and warm? How do you like your Hobie, I have a scupper pro full rigged but I'm looking at getting the Hobie Oasis tandem when I save the $$$yak_5.jpgyak_6.jpg
    I wear a kokatat super nova semi dry suit plus kokatat pfd. Underneath is a lot of polypro and fleece. Strangely enough, after pretty much living in Alaska for nearly 40 years, if you looked through my closet, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that most people would consider a "winter" jacket. Everything I own is pretty much worn year round. With the only real difference is how many layers I am wearing. For the Kings, I wore polypro underwear, two layers of fleeces "pants", two fleece sweaters, a fleece vest, and two pairs of wool socks and I was good to go all day in May!

Sweet looking set up. Your ride will work fine in at Deep Creek. For Kings you are never more than a quarter mile off shore. The winds and current dictate a LOT of which way you will be headed. In May the halibut are shallower as well so both are possible. Like I mentioned before, my mini-x "worked" so about anything will.

I LOVE my new Hobie. It's heavier but being able to move forward with rod in hand has too many advantages to list when it comes to fishing. But for me, the best thing might be the ability of the outback with the mirage drive to cut through wind. Anything over 15mph would scare me in my mini-x since I couldn't paddle against it. Now its no problem. I will definitely be hitting Deep Creek/Anchor Point next spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I wear a kokatat super nova semi dry suit plus kokatat pfd. Underneath is a lot of polypro and fleece. Strangely enough, after pretty much living in Alaska for nearly 40 years, if you looked through my closet, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that most people would consider a "winter" jacket. Everything I own is pretty much worn year round. With the only real difference is how many layers I am wearing. For the Kings, I wore polypro underwear, two layers of fleeces "pants", two fleece sweaters, a fleece vest, and two pairs of wool socks and I was good to go all day in May!

Anything over 15mph would scare me in my mini-x since I couldn't paddle against it. Now its no problem. I will definitely be hitting Deep Creek/Anchor Point next spring!
    Ok so it sounds like you wear pretty much the same thing I wore when I went ice fishing with a dry suit over it instead of a carhart.

Yea I thing my yak will do fine, we usually go out anywhere from 1-13 miles here and the wind averages 5-20mph all year around, my scupper cuts through the water really good and is the fastest SOT out of all my friends(mirage drives not included...lol)

Hopefully I can hook up with you guys when I get there, I won't slow you guys down I've been fishing since I was knee high to a grasshopper and know the ropes when it comes to salmon/halibut fishing...can't wait!!!!