Thread: Sunday report

Default Sunday report

Hunted the flats sunday morning, very slow. Only had shots at 2 ducks. Did have other opportunities where ducks sneeked in behind me. Set up on small clump of covers with deks all round me, and could only look one direction at a time. Was amaized that there was only one other out of the area where I leave from, and this the first Sunday of the season. Also hunter numbers way down on openind day, lot less people out this season. I'm thinking perhaps with the economy slumping maybe more are out looking for a moose to fill the freezer with one shot, rather then ducks now that are only good for a single meal. How was it on the Jim creek area both as far as success and hunter numbers.
    Bud
    Wasilla

Hey Bud I did'nt get out as recently as you, nor did I make it out opening morning. I did get out Fri on Jim Lake and it was just as well I only had 1 1/2 hrs after LST to hunt, because I did not see one duck aloft. Very little shooting heard from the nether regions of the area either.
    I think the springtime low water levels have affected reproduction, but there was fewer hunters than last year at this time too.
    I don't mind having more space and solitude, but its actually better hunting with a few more people to move them around!
    What we probably need now is weather to start the migration.

I hunted the flats at cottonwood creek sunday. We were the only guys out there until we packed up. Right as we got to the parking lot, we encountered some jump shooters. I managed to get a limit, my buddy got six, and his son (who was on his first duck hunt ever) managed to get two. It was very slow, but we had a supply of singles and doubles trickling in every 30 to 45 min. I agree that it is nice to have the solitude, but with duck hunting, we need more hunters around to keep the birds moving.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Glad some of you got the chance to go..was sitting her thinking of taking the twins out for their first outing this year.....probably wait til next week..got to much to do around here anyhow..

I just wanted to add that in 7 years of hunting the flats... I had never experienced so many hunters on opening day out there nor ducks...I will say that Friday and Sat there were less hunters from what I saw and heard. Seems they will wait for a bigger push anyhow or chase something bigger. We will see, Glad everyone is having fun...been a long wait..limits or not, feels great to be out there and see the sun come up...dust form on the mountains. Got to love this time of year.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Today was the first day of the season I was able to hunt. I had four "ups" the first hour and managed 2 doubles and 2 singles. I stayed a couple more hours and missed on 2 more opportunities. The slow down allowed me to finish brushing up the blind before i hiked back out with 4 mallards, a spoonie, and a GW teal.

I returned Monday with my wife and kids hoping for an equal or better morning. Unfortunately, the constant rain kept most of the birds grounded. We managed 1 mallard, and 1 pintail before we called an early stop . FYI, the cafe next to the Girdwood Tesoro offers a very good breakfast/lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I just wanted to add that in 7 years of hunting the flats... I had never experienced so many hunters on opening day out there nor ducks...I will say that Friday and Sat there were less hunters from what I saw and heard.
    You must have been hunting a different area of the hayflats or DL then I was, Thursday morning lots of ducks the first hour and lots of shooting, but only a handful of hunters on the Knik side. Maybe they all were hunting rabbit slough. Bud
    Wasilla

Yeah.. I was on the big water on DL...there were 5 groups of guys along the north side. I will say that they were spaced out appropriatly. Cant say that for their ethics toward shooting ducks..but they spent alot of money and had a great time doing it..lol There were two groups out by Livingston's cabin and probably a lot more out on Coffee Point. I heard a ton of shooting coming from Cottonwood area as well. With Chuck and his family and friends...we had the marsh pretty well covered...The night before sitting around the map of the marsh....almost had flashbacks to an HVT(High Value Target) mission in Iraq..lol although in a sense it was

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    You must have been hunting a different area of the hayflats or DL then I was, Thursday morning lots of ducks the first hour and lots of shooting, but only a handful of hunters on the Knik side. Maybe they all were hunting rabbit slough. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Don't knock the low number of hunters. While heavy coverage of the marsh insures that ducks keep moving they will eventually move to areas that are inaccessible. Ducks aren't dumb and will start to refuge up where their buddies find safety. I have hunted on days where I was the only hunter in the area. Birds would start to raft up within sight in small bunches which seems frustrating. Eventually, however, they would trickle out and present shooting opportunities. Then the next day additional hunters show up and after an initial flurry of activity the birds eventually vacate the marsh for safer places. It is a short term gain, long term loss.

Enjoy the solitude. Enjoy the opportunity to hunt without someone setting up 200 yards downwind and skybusting the birds heading your way.

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    Don't knock the low number of hunters. While heavy coverage of the marsh insures that ducks keep moving they will eventually move to areas that are inaccessible. Ducks aren't dumb and will start to refuge up where their buddies find safety. I have hunted on days where I was the only hunter in the area. Birds would start to raft up within sight in small bunches which seems frustrating. Eventually, however, they would trickle out and present shooting opportunities. Then the next day additional hunters show up and after an initial flurry of activity the birds eventually vacate the marsh for safer places. It is a short term gain, long term loss.

Enjoy the solitude. Enjoy the opportunity to hunt without someone setting up 200 yards downwind and skybusting the birds heading your way.
    I agree with you Bob. But to go along with the low numbers of hunters is low numbers of birds. Plus, the more pressures the birds get the less time they will stay, if they don't get some rest time they will move through that much faster, I think we have seen it the last few years. It may be a tough year this year, mabye a good year to go track down a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    mabye a good year to go track down a moose.
    Thats what I'll be doing. I have a week and a half off starting the 15th. Heading north. I'll try to get out for ducks this sunday then probably not till the end of the month. It will be the least amount of duck hunting I have done in a longtime.

Very cool, good luck with the moose. You will be back for the ducks just in time to start seeing some new birds. The local birds are very stale and skittish, I don't think you will be missing much. I may take the weekend off as well, kids have some hockey this weekend.