Thread: fixing a flyer

Default fixing a flyer

I have a savage model 16 in .308 win. When shooting a 4 shot group I have 1 flyer. I worked up loads with barnes ttsx 150 grain bullets using RL 15 and Bl-C2. They shot sub moa groups but yet with a flyer on all loads. I think that it might be riffle or scope caused. Where should I start to look for the culprit? Thanks for the help

How does it shoot with factory ammo; Like 150grn core-lokt and Fed 150 grn sp ? Where does the flyer come in, on the first or last round ? How many rounds has the rifle fired ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

With Fusion 150's, Sierra game king 165's loaded in factory fedrals, and Core-Lokt 180's all have the same issue. I am not sure when the flyer comes in, but I think it is the third. I bought the riffle used and I have fired about 60 rounds through it myself..

Is it a short action rifle and how do you put the rounds in the chamber one at a time by hand or feeding them through the magazine?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Short action (it is a .308), The last time I went out to chrono the barnes bullets I loaded one at a time. When shooting the factory loads I used the magazine. It has a internal box magazine with no floor plate.

Yea, but Savage used to make 308's on a long action with a magazine block as well. Doesn't sound like a scope problem though. More like a bedding problem or a change of hold or forearm pressure, something like that.

I was shooting off of a rest and made sure to do everything the same every time. I have heard maybe the pressure from the magazine feed might effect shot placement if the magazine box was too tight. does that make sense? The round I found was the most accurate was 1 grain below max of the RL 15. It shot 1/4 inch groups with the flyer being 2 inches off the group. I removed some material from the stock to make sure it was free floated with temp flux. I too thought is was related to bedding, but wasn't sure where to start.

thanks for your time with this

Magazine screws could put a tension on the stock and the magazine spring under tension could affect action to stock pressure; the more ammo in the box the higher the pressure.. I'm assumeing you have a wooden stock since you relieved the forearm area to allow for temp. changes. I'ld still suggest you consider glass bedding.

It has an ultralight synthetic stock. One side was very tight to the barrel and at times would touch or come very close. Since this flyer was occuring I took a bit off to make sure it wasn't the problem.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

That’s a tough one to track down… if it was mine, I would want to first off make sure it wasn’t me causing the problem. That said, I would shoot 10 rounds at one target with a cold barrel. That means about one shot every 10 minutes or so. Sit down, get comfortable and really concentrate on your hold, breathing and trigger squeeze. Make sure you have a really good rest and bags. Take your shot and then go have a walk-about, get some coffee, have a smoke or whatever, and then do it all over again. When you are finished, do another 10 shots in fairly rapid succession, but with the same attention to detail as before. Compare the two targets and see what it shows you.

Since you are shooting those Barnes bullets I would really clean the barrel well to make sure I didn’t have any copper build up.

I would also try to have a buddy shoot a group with it to compare with mine. Maybe try putting some shim pressure on various areas of the barrel? Re-check the torque on the stock screws.

If you cant get it figured out… well… if the first shot is always dead on, then I guess you should just quit shooting it so darn much and quit worrying about the flyer!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio