Thread: River rescue experts in Fairbanks?

Default River rescue experts in Fairbanks?

It has been a long time since I have been on this forum. I live in the lower 48 but have been rafting, kayaking and canoeing for a very long time and have a yearning to run Alaskan rivers. But that is not why I am writing now.

This group has been so helpful in the past, with so much information, I am hoping for some help now. I have a friend in Fairbanks who is a beginning canoeist, he and his girlfriend were on the Chena River alone in their canoe when they swamped it. They had a long swim but did self rescue, however the canoe slid under a log jam. He was able to get to it to retrieve the dry bag with his car keys but the canoe would not budge.

I am wondering if there is a group with rescue experience who might want some practice so a couple of school teachers do not lose their canoe. Can anyone give me any suggestions so I can pass them on?

Lori

Give Blue Moose a call at 458-7758. They have raft rentals, etc... and should know somebody that could help.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks Doug,

I will pass that on!

Lori

I've been through several classes taught by an outfit called “Lean to Return”. “White water rescue” being one such class. They are an Anchorage based company but I know they have held classes in Fairbanks.

Hey all! Sorry been busy busy. Normally most Swift Water Rescue classes are held in Glitter Gulch in May if you contact Jim Rasis Denali Raftign Adventures he is somewhat liberal on invites if you get to know him and in the past he sponsors one a year. another great contact would be Chuck owner of Nova he Sponsors / sets up a couple a year in different locations if I am not mistaken. last great potential resource would be Fairbanks very own fire department they do have a water rescue team and may have a local instructor. Mind you it would not be in class IV glacial water in May but just might be what your looking for if in fact they offer such a deal. OOPPPPS once more Check with Fairbanks Paddlers they have a web site that just might point you in a great direction.

Default sunk canoe

Without float bags my kayak weighs about 750lbs when full of water. This made me wonder what that canoe weighs, especially when you add pressure of current. A well set up Z-drag may work, but... under a log jam.

http://www.fairbankspaddlers.org/ --- Who I would contact. ---- They might be able to get a group together for a little end of season rescue practice.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I've been through several classes taught by an outfit called “Lean to Return”. “White water rescue” being one such class. They are an Anchorage based company but I know they have held classes in Fairbanks.
    Yikes! LEARN to Return. Sorry about the mistype

Did you ever get this resolved?? I sent you a pm a couple days ago.

I am planning my first rafting trip out of Hope in March. Do you think I need to take a class for a novice attempting a class III/IV?

Thanks, I will check them out!

Are you sure it's March? That's still winter up here and most of the rivers are still solid. I'm assuming it's a guided trip? Your guides should be well trained and seasoned river travelers. Just listen to what they tell you and you'll have a great time.

"ust listen to what they tell you and you'll have a great time." --- Dittos from me. But if you are attempting to run the raft, forgetaboutit.

But this can't be class III/IV in March near Hope Alaska. Siximile Creek might possibly be open (ice free) through the first canyon, but likely for kayaks only, as the water would be too low for larger boats. A section of the Kenai River also might be ice free, but it's only class I/II. You have something wrong here.