Thread: driftboat motor

Default driftboat motor

What is a good sized motor for my driftboat. Most of the fishing I do is on the kenai so running across Skilak will be its main purpose. I would also like to run it on the lower Kenai also. I saw a guy run his driftboat down to the Deshka last year. How big would the motor need to be to run back up?
    thanks
    Klickman

corect me if I'm wrong but isn't a 9.8 the standard? For the deshka it would be very tough from my understanding the way drift boats are set up make it impossible to get them on step thus it severly limits the speed of the boat. I think the susitna coming back is something like 6 mph and a 9.8 will get you about 9 mph so you do the math.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 3.5 to 6 .

It kind of depends on the size of the drifter. I put a 9.9 Four stroke electric start mercury on my 20' boat that will get me across skilak from inlet to mouth in 2 ½ hrs or so. Smaller and lighter might be the better way to go, 3.5 to 6 HP.for the Kenai my boat rows heavy with the extra weight and really doesn't get me back up stream any faster. If you are rowing a 17 ft boat 6-hp would be the ticket.

Default Driftboat Motor

Drift boats work terrible with a motor. The more you throttle it the more the bow sticks up and it plows harder.
    I have a 9.9hp motor but can't use all of it or it would be straight up. 6 or 8hp would be fine.
    Get a long shaft or extralong shaft if you need it though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Planer Fin W/Pic's

Wildog > I went with a planer fin and rock guard for the prop of my 9.9, it really helps from plowing to much water by keeps the bow down more…. My wake is smaller and it makes the boat more stable. The guy that makes this nifty option is Larry Mercer 1-886-813-8551.
    Last edited by fishook; 07-24-2007 at 12:06.

Default Sweet!

I like it.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Thanks for the info guys. Is a 6 enough to run up the big su or do I need a 9.9? I have a '96 17' alumaweld.
    Klickman

Default UP the big su?

I've never been up the big su. but...
    Isn't there a lot of current in the big su?
    How far are you talking when you say up the big su, because drift boats are not the best for traveling a long ways with a motor, especially upriver.

I saw some guys going down to the deshka from deshka landing. They weren't going very fast but they were making it. I just wondered about getting back up stream..
    Klickman

I bet they had a tow

Default TOW

I called a guide service about how much it would cost to get a tow. I don 't think a tow is possible. THe cost would be pretty high. I think the guys just slowly made it back up stream.
    Klickman

Default Maybe the went to Anchorage

Could have been a long drift across the water to Anchorage.

Tows are possible very possible they do it on the talkeetna for the same price as two people.

Default It dont take much!

For what its worth, I have a 20'x66" Koffler, that I use a 2 h.p. honda on. It moves me accross Skilak just fine, it is very light, has no gear case you just spin it around for full thrust reverse, and has a built in tank. It will push me back up river in slow spots, and I have used it for backsliding after the arms give out!