Thread: Winter Fishing in Southeast

Default Winter Fishing in Southeast

Is it worth while if you have the time to get out on the boat down here? I moved from Homer to Juneau this summer. I know there are the winter kings to be had where I came from, but I'm not sure about the southeast. Maybe the weather factors in, but know we had our share of snotty days in Homer. Just wanted to get some thoughts about winter fishing down here. Thanks.

There are a few people who fish Juneau year round. Don't forget winter king crab! A bulkhead hard top and heater goes a long ways.. But a few of the hard core guys who fish year round fish in open skiffs.

Sobie2

Go talk to the ugly bar tender and the COAST GUARD club he might be of some help!

They handtroll kings all winter in SE. I know a guy that averages 7 a day around Petersburg in the Wrangell Narrows...Talk to 270ti he seems to knock boots

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Smile Just Like by Homer - Find the Feed

SE Winter King fishing is relatively simple - if the weather permits and you are set up to fish gear at depths up to 150 feet (or more if you know what you are doing) - drag around some likely gear near balls of feed and you will bring a King home once in awhile. The weather will be your largest obstacle. The comment above about a hard-top/bulkhead/heater should be taken to heart. On the rare day(s) that the winds back off and water is agreeable you will have just about all of the area to yourself once you get clear of the harbor or boat launch ramp.

King fishing can be very good in SE, during the winter. You'll get stretches of really nice weather too.

Thanks for all the input. Here's hoping for some lulls of nice weather this winter.