Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the valley???

Default Shooting in the valley???

Anyone know of a good place to go shooting in the valley, where a bunch of knuckle heads haven’t taken cars and propane tanks to blow up and leave to rust. Cant keep up with all the places getting shut down by the state. Thanks for the help

I'm actively looking for a new place to plink as well. My places were: Zero Lake Road - shut down. KGB Road - shut down. The end of Knik River Road where I used to shoot - shut down. Buffalo Mine Road (gravel pit right off Hwy) - been a few years...not sure??? - anyone??? I've heard of shooting at the end of Maud Road (past Jim Lake to the left) where they are apparently clearing an area for a possible range, but I've never been there. I'd like to do some simple plinking without all the delays in trigger time at the ranges and avoid my semi-auto brass slinging on top of the bolt action guy next to me. I'm not a trash dumper and I pick up my brass, empty ammo boxes, etc. Anyone?

Maud road. Well if you did leave all your brass and shot up what ever you would not be the first and no could tell you did. That said I sure do appreciate the freedom to go out there and shoot without some jerk bothering me for my ID and giving advise on how to do it. The shooting is all up hill, no benches, or lights, but usually not too crowded. If you gotta see how tight you can make the group probably not the place for you. You want to bang at some cans or other odd objects give it a try.

It was only a matter fo time beofre zero lake was shut down... I would drive by thier and shake my head... What is the point of getting some folks together to clean up a place like that cause in a few days or weeks it would be right back to what it looked like a big trash dump. As far as the ranges we have to realize alot of idiots show up to them are same ones shooting up washers and at propane bottles, so they have to be told to constantly wear eye protection and hearing protection etc...

houston alaska is a great place for doing lots of shooting.
    Semper Fi!

Yea, stand by the firehouse and then take pot shots at the ice cream cone across the street.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks for the info. on Maud Road. I have a few assault rifle toys I enjoy occasionally shooting over 1000+ rounds out of in just a few hours rather than spend a whole day at the range trying to get the same amount of trigger time. So Maud Road sounds like a good place to try out. As to Zero Lake Road - a.k.a The Old Houston Dump - I'd shot there for over 25 years and it's sad that they closed it. I went there just last month to shoot a few rounds out of my new reproduction STG44 / MP44 and was surprised when I saw the fence. I was NOT surprised that some jackasses had already put bullet holes in the signs hanging on the fence.

Dog

Got it Mat valley sportsmans club with a 35 membership one free shoot 10 bucks a wak after that 50 and 100 yard ranges open mon eve's for 22's, wed, fri, sat, sun for c.f.. here's the web address: http://www.mvsrange.com/
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

eve's wed's and sundays looking at ther site.
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Looks like Pistol and Plinkin' range......It's a start.

From the website posted above.

What type of gun/caliber you can shoot in the indoor range
    1. All pistol caliber's( i.e .22lr, 9mm, 44mag, 454 Casull
    2. 12 GA Shotgun slugs and buck (no steel shot)
    WHAT YOU CANNOT SHOOT
    NO centerfire or bottleneck (i.e. 338 Mag, .300 Win Mag, 5.56mm).
    {even if it has a plastic core}
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

boy that place sounds like it sucks the big one!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    From the website posted above.

What type of gun/caliber you can shoot in the indoor range
    1. All pistol caliber's( i.e .22lr, 9mm, 44mag, 454 Casull
    2. 12 GA Shotgun slugs and buck (no steel shot)
    WHAT YOU CANNOT SHOOT
    NO centerfire or bottleneck (i.e. 338 Mag, .300 Win Mag, 5.56mm).
    {even if it has a plastic core}
    thats the indoor range I am not seeing any caliber limits on the outside range exept on monday
    Μολών λαβέ

Maybe I'm missing it, but all I am seeing is an indoor range?

No photo's or mention of one. If there is one there, it'd be a pleasant change from driving into Birchwood.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Question zero lake

Quote Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
    I went there just last month to shoot a few rounds out of my new reproduction STG44 / MP44 and was surprised when I saw the fence. I was NOT surprised that some jackasses had already put bullet holes in the signs hanging on the fence.
    I saw that too. I saw 2 or 3 areas fenced and marked off, and then further there (another mile?) was an area that obviously is still being used as a range and is NOT fenced or signed. No more than 50 yard clearing I'd bet, and lots of shot-up trash strewn about. And there were a couple of guys shooting there. Were they in an illegal area? If so, what is the potential fine/charges they were looking at for doing that?

some idiots tore up that fenced off property a month or so ago again near the old knik bridge on the glacier / palmer side of the old glenn. people are such baffoons.
    Semper Fi!

If jackwagons didn't need to shoot washing machines, glass bottles every tree and leave every piece of trash you just shot on the ground maybe some of these informal places to shoot would stay open. If I did have a spot no way would I post it here you might as well post gps coordinates to moose camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Maybe I'm missing it, but all I am seeing is an indoor range?

No photo's or mention of one. If there is one there, it'd be a pleasant change from driving into Birchwood.
    This is from their front page, I'm dislexic but caught this, I wouldn't have known either exept for my buddy at weld air, sounds like nra was part of purchaseing the baffles and such
    Updated the Classes page through the end of the year. Added the schedule for the 100 yard outdoor range to the Schedule page.
    g3 bafoons is a pretty nice name for a destructive p.o.s.
    Μολών λαβέ

Sounds like we all need team up and make our own place to shoot or get something going with the NRA and state. It's hard to believe that mat-su is one of the biggest brough/county in the country and we don't have a place to shoot!

Where have you been? They've been trying to get a range by the sports center for several years now.

Talked with the Wasilla Mayor a couple of weeks ago and the shooting range by the sports complex is dead. The borough did not stand up to a few NIMBY's, so... It looks like a partnership with Alcantra National Guard is the next best option.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast