Thread: Alaska Moose Federation: "Grow More Moose"

Arrow Alaska Moose Federation: "Grow More Moose"

That's the slogan, and website address of the Alaska Moose Federation.

I just had lunch with Alaska Moose Federation (AMF) Chairman Gary Olson (above) at Arctic Road Runner (great burgers, BTW). We were talking about some of the Federation's latest projects. Gary is very pleased about the newest tool in the AMF toolbox, a Tucker Sno-Cat. The Federation is going to be using this to make easier walking for moose away from roads and the railroad in high density moose areas hit with especially deep snow in winters to come.

<Click for audio>> Gary answered a few questions about the Sno-Cat as we looked it over. You can listen to the interview online here. One way to "grow more moose" -- which is what the AMF is all about -- is to prevent them from being killed on roads and railroads. That's what this machine and other equipment that will follow it will do.

Gary also mentioned the "100 gun" Alaska moose federation banquet in Wasilla in late April. This banquet will be a good way for Valley and Anchorage area folks to contribute to AMF projects and find out more about what the Federation has planned and is already doing. And you might come home with one of those 100 guns!

David

So that is where he has been, Gary and I have played phone tag since last night. Sounds like a great banquet coming up and I will certainly be there.

Doug

Could'nt afford the dinner last year but I'm going to try to be there this year.

Default Paralyzed Veterans of America coming on board with the Alaska Moose Federation

Paralyzed Veterans of America coming on board with the Moose Federation

Alaska has been my home for well over 20 years, not in the sense
    of physically living in this beautiful country full time, but living
    with a sense of being an Alaskan in the sometimes crazy world
    down here on the outside. I keep in touch with home on a very
    regular basis through my dear friends watching over things for me
    and my very frequent trips back to where I left a major part of myself
    many years ago.

Five years ago with the Paralyzed Veterans of America Heritage
    Fund I began bringing a group of injured veterans to Alaska every
    fall to moose hunt outside of Fairbanks, in order to try and share a
    small part of something so special to me as well as to help provide
    an opportunity that these dedicated sportsman might not otherwise
    have a chance to enjoy during their lifetime. We have enjoyed
    great support from the Alaska Senatorial leaders since day one
    with these programs and taking advantage of this article would
    like to thank both Senator Ted Stevens and Senator Lisa
    Murkowski for everything they have done since the beginning to
    support our efforts in helping us open Alaska for our disabled Veterans.

We are very excited about developing our relationship with the
    Alaska Moose Federation and the opportunity to work together
    to further the goals of the AMF as well as further the opportunities
    in Alaska for Americas disabled Veterans.

The upcoming AMF banquet will not only be an exciting event
    for me as another trip to Alaska but because a dear friend of
    mine will be in attendance with me. Steve Sanford from Ft.
    Wainwright in Fairbanks was injured in Iraq and was recently
    awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by the Chairman of the
    Joint Chiefs General Peter Pace for his heroism in battle. A very
    humble hero and passionate outdoorsman that has been working
    hard to help develop projects for more of our wounded heroes
    and I am sure he will also be a true ally for the AMF.

I am very excited about the upcoming banquet as well as the
    opportunity to meet the many more AMF supporters and I welcome
    the chance to spend time talking about home with new
    friends.

Doug Warren
    Consultant
    Paralyzed Veterans of America Heritage Fund

Thank you TV321,

I was sent a copy of that last night, it is something we are really looking forward to. Alaska has meant alot to everyone I have brought up over these past 5 years and everyone is very anxious to get involved and to hopefully come back. Gary and I have been talking alot lately about working hard to get some of the wounded Stryker guys out hunting, fishing whatever. Getting back out is a crutial part of rehabilitation and the realization that they can still do these things.

Doug

Exclamation AMF Just another Hunting Org...

That relys on donations from hunters...sad, it's charter states that it's primarily for everyone, but caters to it's big game hunters(guides) & not to "everyone", which is consumer & non conusmer alike...it was very unfortunate that I found this out on the first banquet when AMF invited a Sportsmans Bulliten to speak, & only ranted about anithunting folks, etc, when in fact this wasn't supposed to be a prohunting org.

Thumbs up

Regardless, the intent, and performance of the AMF is to grow more Moose, reduce accidents. Most NPO's I know are supported by their members, I don't think the AMF is much different.

that snowcat is sweet!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Post AMF is for everyone!

This organization is for everyone! If you drive a vehicle, you should be a member. Bottom line is we want more moose in the state of Alaska, but not marinated in antifreeze.

Here is our Mission Statement:

Believing in the value of healthy moose populations for all Alaskans, The Alaska Moose Federation will be the leader in the effort to both initiate and maintain the quantity and quality of Alaska's moose population.

I do have several questions for you gogoalie.

1. Whom should we be getting our donations from? Should I only get donations from Non hunters? Does that really make sense? If you have a business and would like to make a donation please PM and I will include it in our event.

2. I would be interested in what big game guide we cater to?

3. Where did you get the idea that the Alaska Moose Federation is against hunting?

I am starting a MATSU chapter and hunting is and will always be part of this chapter.

I welcome you and every other nay-sayer to attend this benefit and find out what we are about.

I will be at the benefit and I hope to see some of you there who else is going?

DEDWUF
    dwhunter
    Will you be in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by dwhunter View Post
    Thank you TV321,

I was sent a copy of that last night, it is something we are really looking forward to. Alaska has meant alot to everyone I have brought up over these past 5 years and everyone is very anxious to get involved and to hopefully come back. Gary and I have been talking alot lately about working hard to get some of the wounded Stryker guys out hunting, fishing whatever. Getting back out is a crutial part of rehabilitation and the realization that they can still do these things.

Doug
    Hey Doug;
    You just reminded me of something I wanted to pass along, it's off thread but I think it might be helpful.

When I was in nursing school we had to develop a occupational rehab program for different injuries. I was assigned hand and wrist injuries. I don't know how many here have ever had to undergo rehabilitation post trauma but it is very painful and often boring. Hand and wrist programs consist of mainly exercises to improve strength and flexibiility. Well as part of my research I did several of the recommended exercises and quickly realised that they were just too dull for most people to stick with so I decided to build a rehab program around fly tying. All of the movements where ones you would use in a regular rehab program and it had the advantage of holding the clients interest. When I told my instructor of my plan she said "you'd better make it good and include all the necessary exercises!" Well I adapted some tying equipment, larger handles, easier to use grips ect, and brought in several vices and equipment designed for various stages of the process. I then had several of my fellow students sit down at the vice and started a tying class. As we went through the stages of tying a woolly bugger I pointed out, now your exercising this muscle group through rotation or that group through pincer movements. My instructor was so impressed she had me give the same demo to the folks who ran the occupational therapy department and for the 2 years I interned there anyway they used the program I had set up. Showing folks that with a little modification they can still do the things they love is vital in recovery and using techniques that hold there interest insures they will do whats necessary for there recovery.

Just thought I'd pass that along
    Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Hey Doug;
    You just reminded me of something I wanted to pass along, it's off thread but I think it might be helpful.

When I was in nursing school we had to develop a occupational rehab program for different injuries. I was assigned hand and wrist injuries. I don't know how many here have ever had to undergo rehabilitation post trauma but it is very painful and often boring. Hand and wrist programs consist of mainly exercises to improve strength and flexibiility. Well as part of my research I did several of the recommended exercises and quickly realised that they were just too dull for most people to stick with so I decided to build a rehab program around fly tying. All of the movements where ones you would use in a regular rehab program and it had the advantage of holding the clients interest. When I told my instructor of my plan she said "you'd better make it good and include all the necessary exercises!" Well I adapted some tying equipment, larger handles, easier to use grips ect, and brought in several vices and equipment designed for various stages of the process. I then had several of my fellow students sit down at the vice and started a tying class. As we went through the stages of tying a woolly bugger I pointed out, now your exercising this muscle group through rotation or that group through pincer movements. My instructor was so impressed she had me give the same demo to the folks who ran the occupational therapy department and for the 2 years I interned there anyway they used the program I had set up. Showing folks that with a little modification they can still do the things they love is vital in recovery and using techniques that hold there interest insures they will do whats necessary for there recovery.

Just thought I'd pass that along
    Rick P
    Rick,

Thanks and yes I will be there, I fly into Anch on Wednesday.

"Showing folks that with a little modification they can still do the things they love is vital in recovery"

That is what it is all about and why we start with the guys and gals while they are still in rehab, you have to start with this right away as depression etc are major considerations and you have to get them back out and involved right away. Steve or JimSmith from the forums will also be there and talking about this with his experiences from being injured in Iraq. Steve is a recipient of the Purple heart and Distinguished service cross because of what happened over there in the sandbox.

I will not be able to respond over the weekend as I am going to a Paralyzed Veterans Bass fishing tournament south of Waco, TX until sunday night or early Monday.

Lets plan on connecting at the banquet and everyone have a great weekend

Doug

Got My ticket today very few of them left! Cant wait to see folks.
    Doug I look forward to seeing you there! Warm weather and fishing I wish I was stagging along.

Thumbs up

Rick P. , Can't make, although I really wanted to, still working on pred control, enjoy!