Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Canoe ~~LOL!!~~

Default Hunting Canoe ~~LOL!!~~

Familyman suggested I write a bit and post here about my familys under construction "Canoe"....Chips Ark, Ship ,whatever ~LOL!!~~ ( Names gonna be "Helenwater", joining our boats HelenBack, HelenGone and CrazyHelen) but best known for now as an Umiaq.

So its to be 36 feet overall , when I trim the "Horns', 7 feet 9 inches wide and 26 inches of Freeboard from the Keel, with 1-1/2 inches of dead rise, so its nearly flat bottomed.
    Should draft 3-4 inches of water, and 6-8 when loaded, to 12 with a full 2 ton load, or so Ive been finding in Estemate.

Great for the whole Family , pull to shore, unload and remove to flip for a dry windproof shelter to make the center of our camp.

Its built a bit Beefy, but I figure undersail , the extra keel and floorboard weights should be justifyed. The local Inupiaq did just that when they eveolved the local designs to accomadate a Mast and sail power.

I laminated plywoods to make the stem and stern, scarffed and layerd 2X6 for a Keel and used some very nicely grained Cedar planks that I scarfed, glued and lashed, after being cut into 4 long beams for the chines and gunwales.

The headboards are 2inch thick ply, Mortised onto the stem and stern, and Im gonna secure it
    My stringers, Thwarts and seats will all be added after I shape and fit the ribs by Mortise/tenon and lashing, just like a basket sled.

A foot tall spray skirt will prop up and add that much more freeboard in heavy seas.
    The shallow draft is perfect for our shallow Kotzebue Sound and rivers, lakes, ect.
    easily carried by 6, but quite "rollable' with 2 or 3 up the shore.
    Lightweight and repairable nearly anywhere with hand tools and materials found out there, it should last a great many years.

The ribs, outter stringers and ribs are local dense stunted Spruce, and in this condition are much much stronger than cut wood, but the Cedar is so clear and long grained.

Spo far its been assembled, measured, dissambled, worked, reassembled and done again, again,again,again and again....

Ballistic Nylon and some sorta sealant should do fine and so far the only cost occurd, other than an electric blii for my tools had been 600$$ or so for the skin, ropes, tying twine and nails. The sealant will probly add another 200$ , but a 36 foot hunting boat that carrys the whole family, Motor'd, Sailed, Poled, Pushed and Paddled should do us all well. With the family along, the boat will be "Home" and the need to return to the Winter structure we call a House won't arise till School starts in late August, then I get the kids to watch themselfs while I spend my days upriver hunting Caribou, filling this baby to the hilt ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That looks like a yawl. That's not like "Hey, Ya'll". I mean yawl as in rowing yawl. But it'll take all ya'll to flip it over. You looking to discover a new continent? Stranger, my hat is off. Outstanding! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on your progress. Awesome project.

Very, Very Nice.........

Wow!!!!! That's one Helenofaproject!!!!

Keep the progress reports coming PLEASE~!

Very nice Stranger,, I have always wondered why there are not more boats of this style used here in Alaska. I have seen this type used a lot on rivers in South America and Asia. They are often powered with surface drive engines.

Very nice Sir!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stranger, are you going to get that finished before freeze-up? You need to wear a helmet with horns for the maiden voyage.

looks like a good unit, do keep up to date on your progress, do you thing it will be ready for next year's hunt ?? SID

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Stranger, are you going to get that finished before freeze-up? You need to wear a helmet with horns for the maiden voyage.
    lol

Looks like a great project. You may be able to fit the whole herd of caribou in there!

I should have it done wthin two weeks , if I keep pluggin away at it Get it filled with Caribou This summer

Glad yawl like it !! This baby will ride all summer , next summer

I expect to see a Viking style figurehead with propane plumbed through it so the dragon can breath fire while traversing the frigid northen lakes and streams. That and a row of wooden sheilds hanging on the gunwales.

IF you fill it with Caribou there won't be any left for us.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Great thread; keep it going as the work progresses!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I should have it done wthin two weeks , if I keep pluggin away at it Get it filled with Caribou This summer

Glad yawl like it !! This baby will ride all summer , next summer
    THIS summer? Wow, you're quick.

I love the design. Just incredible. Thanks for the thread and pics stranger.

Looking that way....my outboard is bum,(Im thinking thermostat, wil know tomarrow) the winds are up so I have a couple days to plane them ribs and with a few extera hands, Ill get it all tied in.
    Lotta ladys to sew sew sew as well, and another couple days for the application and cureing of a sealant and Om good to go. Ill mast it and outfit it this winter, and have a full kit for next summer.

Think "Boat"

Keeping it all alive,thanks
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Looking that way....my outboard is bum,(Im thinking thermostat, wil know tomarrow) the winds are up so I have a couple days to plane them ribs and with a few extera hands, Ill get it all tied in.
    Think "Boat"
    Think "ART". What do you need with a motor ? Just give each of your kids an oar, rig a square sail and get a drum for cadence. It would make a spify long boat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Be sure to post pictures when you get it on the water. Look's good so far.

Was thinking...Birch bark would really set that boat apart from the others in the neighborhood. It would require 40 acres of birch trees, 5 miles of spruce roots and a truck load of pitch but I bet you could get the Discovery Channel to start a Strangerinastrangeland series...just saying.

Default thats awsome dude

beyond cool!!! strangerinastrangeland are you going to take your ironmaiden voyage out to old boner rock?
    edit signature here

"are you going to take your ironmaiden voyage out to old boner rock?"

Depends on if I get 39 more days and nights of Rain ...~~LOL!!~~

Default finally, the truth comes out!

It's actually an ARK, and you're Noah!

(Wouldn't "Noah's Ark" make a cool name for the back of it?)

Stranger,,I find myself going over your pictures ,, and I mean all of your pictures ,,,looking for the story within the pict.
    I Was listening to the National Geographic Magazine radio show this past sunday and the interview was with a photograher that gets his picts in the magazine.. He said that in order to get a pict in the magazine, it cant be just a pict of some scenery or monument, but it usually has to have either people or animals in the pict ...
    What makes your posts interesting to me is that you take picts of stuff happening.. people on the floor of the cabin taking care of skins, cooking food in the tent, moving along the frozen tundra on the sno-go ,, actually going somewhere on purpose not just joy riding..
    Not to high jack your thread here stanger, but what you have going on in your life,,,( LIVES) actually,, is extremely of interest to many of us..
    You are making stuff happen,, and you are surrounded with your Clan,, and your friends etc.
    when I see the frame of your boat and read your words about you working thru the design and construction of the craft, I can imagine the scene of the kitchen table at night,, with coffee cups steaming with fresh brew,,and conversation of how to attack the project tomorrow,,, and yet other chores that need to be also in that tomorrow,, maybe some hours of gathering berries, maybe some work on the 4 wheeler,, tending to the smoke house, the leak on the roof, the parts may be showing up for the boat motor, and getting some craft and handiwork order sent out so a little more cash comes in to keep things going forward..
    The list may be scratched on a loose piece of paper ,, or not,, but your life my friend ,, is about living......
    I have watched some of your video clips ,, and heard your laugh,, heard your good wife's laugh and your coversations..
    This has been for me..... a very refreshing thing to have you here on the forum ,,,
    Thank you for sharing your latest project Stranger
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast