Thread: Haul Road Bou Update Here!

Default Haul Road Bou Update Here!

Just returned from the Haul Road and wanted to let anyone heading up know, things are slow! Spoke with multiple hunters and a few pilots and most said they have been hard pressed to see any numbers. We got a few out of the Brooks Range and they were all up high. Will post hunt and photos later on float hunting forum. If your headed up, PM me for specifics.

TGJ

Just drove the northern 50 miles of the road round trip tonight. Saw about 15 trucks with hunters, most in camp. Saw 5 herds of musk ox, about a dozen snow owls, and one caribou in the closed area.

They were at pump 2 last week lots of bou across the river, I ended up harvesting a cow 25 yards, last day of a 6 day hunt, great time

Quote Originally Posted by TGJ View Post
    Just returned from the Haul Road and wanted to let anyone heading up know, things are slow! Spoke with multiple hunters and a few pilots and most said they have been hard pressed to see any numbers. We got a few out of the Brooks Range and they were all up high. Will post hunt and photos later on float hunting forum. If your headed up, PM me for specifics.

TGJ
    Found the same thing from about the same area from the 19th to 25th Aug. Was able to get three bou, but didn't get the wall hanger I was looking for, I did see one but passed on the shot in the name of safety. A camp was set across the river in the direction I would have had to take the shot. Good thing is someone else in our camp did take him about 2 miles down river from where I jumped him. So I still got a picture. Biggest group I seen was about 9 and they were all cows with calves.

Funny thing is that some of the guys who have hunted up there alot years said this was the first time that they ever seen the Bou moving north instead of their usual southerly travel during this time period. So this may be one of those odd years.