Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far away do the big bulls live?

Default How far away do the big bulls live?

I know this is the type of question that may offend some and I'm by no means asking where you hunt. Feel free to pm your opinions if you don't want to post them but after getting my small bull relatively close to town and talking to peoe it seems those that hunt locally only shoot spike/fork moose. So my question is how far back from anchorage or the valley or Fairbanks do you have to hunt to see bulls over 50inches? And also how deep in the country do you have to be? And also do those of you who consistently take good bulls do you get off the wheeler trail very far? Thanks hunter

This one was just off the road near Fairbanks. Big bulls are where you find them, the ones that hang out near people end up in the freezer in short order. Ship creek in Anchorage produces nice bulls every year, Fort Rich also has big bulls.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

2800 miles for me.

i know somebody that shot a 54" in houston not far of the trail, they are around but like stid said if they hang around they wont be around for long

Way too many Humans, Way too many humans.

They are always a mile farther than I am willing to travel
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

There are regularly 50 to 60" moose taken within 10 miles of any of the Mat-Su towns. I know where some big bulls have come out in the upper 60 range only 10 miles of the Parks Highway. There are pockets all along the Talkeetna Mtns. from Wasilla to the Talkeetna River that you simply can not access with a wheeler unless you mount a serious expedition. I know these areas hold big bulls because I have seen them by snowmachine in the winter.

The largest moose I have seen with my own eyes was on the mud flats across the tracks from Potter's marsh out on the mud flats two years ago. He was an absolute monster, easily over 70"
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Biggest moose I've seen on a wall was taken by a road hunter off petersville rd in a nov. Draw hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I dont know about 50 inch bulls but Ive killed a 64+ in the valley 4 miles off the parks and a 62 inch 7 miles off the road near Tok. I just remembers another area in the valley where the 50+ inch bulls are only 3 miles off the road.

i'm usually within 100 miles of anchorage and see monster moose every fall...in places no one will ever shoot them...well, no one will ever get them out. unless they are nuts...dang i guess i do know some guys who would shoot them....i would.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Are these moose usually far and few between?

Big bulls are solitary animals if you saw two big bulls together they would be butting heads.
    Yes, the big boys are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Big bulls are solitary animals if you saw two big bulls together they would be butting heads.
    Yes, the big boys are few and far between.
    I've seen more than one pair of big bulls hanging together during the summer. Kincaid park in anch almost always has a pair of 50 to 60 inchers that hang out all summer. sheep hunting watched three 50+ bulls hanging out for a week thru the spotting scope from aug 10-17.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

start looking about 1000 yards from any 4-wheeler trail or power-boatable river.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yes your right jkb, I should have said during rut. Im so picky about details and blew it.

It seems most the moose I've seen have been paddle horns or sublegal bulls. I talk to some who go out and basically take their pick from a number of large bulls. The biggest bull I saw this year was maybe low to mid 40s but not legal then 3 small paddle horns and one close to 40. I hunted pretty locally in 14a and heard of several spike forks get shot. I know eureka areas and Denali highway produce some good moose but I don't care much for fighting a crowd next year. It also sounds like petersvill is pretty deadthis year. I might try the eklutna registration hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Yes your right jkb, I should have said during rut. I’m so picky about details and blew it.
    Lol a 60 inchers are very solitary during rut after kicking arse on everything in the area.
    Once though while watching a 36 inch bull fight with a 50+ bull I thought this is going to be over soon. Well it was but the 36 either ran the big boy off or killed it cause they were fighting at dark and in the morning the big boy was gone never to be seen again.

Unknown author

Decent size bulls can be found without going extremely far out of town. The best thing to do is find a likely looking area and just sit and glass. Last week I was camped on a ridge relatively close to Fairbanks. Several 4 wheelers went by in the 2 days I was there without seeing anything apparently. Meanwhile I watched moose that had been feeding in the open bed down, wait for the 4 wheelers to go away, and then get back up and start feeding again. Binoculars are way better for finding moose than wheelers are. If you're in a good area and you're patient enough to sit and glass all day you will see moose that most guys never know are there. They won't all be huge bulls, but if you're patient you'll eventually see them.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Petersville, Denali and Eureka are HUGE areas. You don't have to fight crowds if you don't want to. In fact, a majority of the folks hunting those areas spend more time swilling beer than hunting. You don't have to get far from the trails or roads to find moose. I am not going to say which of the areas I have mentioned above, but I have a friend that has pulled 60"+ moose 3 out of 5 years in one of them ....on foot.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There are easily 50+" moose every year rutting on the powerline trail up by flat top. Can't hunt this area, but they are there, and there are plenty of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast