Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 mile river

Question 20 mile river

How navicable is the 20 mile? Is it feasable to run a zodiac with a short shaft prop or would I need a jet?

A jet would be your best bet. To much stuff in that river along with rocks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

A friend ran a zodiac with a prop, and needed a new prop afterwards. Pretty much a jet only river.

Default depends

I ran it with a 15hp and a cataraft in july 2 years ago, never hit bottom either. I didn't push it though.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I suppose it is do-able at high tide, but the upper river would give you problems. I have seen many people trying to push their prop driven boats upstream only to give up and fish the lower portion.

This is no joke. At high tide one day we were waiting for the tide to drop so we could fit our airboat under neith the bridge. There where two men planning an attempt to take their boat upstream. The boat reminded me of a bath tub with aabout a 5hp outboard on the back, it was just barely enough to fit two people. The first guy weighed about 400 lbs and the second guy was tall and lean. The big guy hopped in the rear and the other guy heaved the boat into the tide and jumped in. At a snails pace and only about 2 inches of the top edge of the boat visible they inched their way upstream. Everyone on the bank stared in amazement!

Default 20 Mile

I've been up to where the Glacier and 20 Mile come together in my Hewescraft river runner with no problem. I would worry tho if it were a prop. Havn't had the guts yet to go past there, call me chicken >

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I've been up to where the Glacier and 20 Mile come together in my Hewescraft river runner with no problem. I would worry tho if it were a prop. Havn't had the guts yet to go past there, call me chicken >
    I'd call you chicken if I didn't know it gets pretty nasty past that point. Saw very few jet boats up the 20 mile branch.

Default ...................Is that a challange?.............................

Well is it? Are you saying I can't make it up The 20 mile branch?
    OK I will do it and bring back video to prove it.

Default Sweet

Sounds like a blast!!! I wanna go, I'll be the cameraman!

Ahh, 20 mile. A buddy and I went way up it in my boat once. Shallower and shallower, twistier, and twistier, until we couldn't make a turn and rode our own wake onto a gravel bar. When the water settled down we were at least 20' from the stern to the water's edge, high and very dry. The bigger problem was that the water that was 20-some feet away wasn't adequate to float the boat. At least it made pushing the boat a little easier.

Chicken beats stupid.

We found a channel that cut through the valley with 2-3 foot vertical banks. There was plenty of water but the channel kept getting narrower until we had to stop and back the boat down quite a ways until it got wide enough to spin the boat within the banks. That was pretty cool.

About 20 years ago the State extended the guardrail to block our launch ramp into the Portage River. That was a great place to boat and fish. I never tried to run the tide flats out of 20 mile and around to Portage. At low water that could be fun. Like running out of the Little Su at dead low tide. Yee Haw!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishak30 View Post
    Well is it? Are you saying I can't make it up The 20 mile branch?
    OK I will do it and bring back video to prove it.
    I never said it was impossible, just tough and challenging. Once I am comfortable behind the wheel of my jet boat I will be taking it up 20 mile hoping I can reach my old fishing grounds.

I ran up to where the two rivers come together. The only real tech part was getting through the log jams. I did not go past there in my boat. I hitched a ride with Glacier Jet and It gets very skinny and if you miss the channel its not going to be pretty.

Default 20 Mile

I ran up there in a canoe, up way past where the glacier and the 20 mile diverge (techically, I think I kept going on the glacier). We were just crossing, and lining the canoe up past a certain point. This was about 10 years ago - A few things to watch for.

1. Lower river is tidal, and that means same silt that's out in the arm. My buddy got stuck in the silt on the lower river - Took him 15 minute to dig out. Could have been much worse.
    2. The upper river has really steep stone banks that crumble but there are some large flat bars to camp on. Really skinny past a certain point - and glacial.

I saw folks that got dropped off and floated down from the lake. Looked like a good trip.

As any river the water level dictates how easy or how far you could go with a prop. I have been about 10 miles past the fork up the 20 mile at high water. I have been about ten miles past the fork up the glacier river several times at all levels. I always chickend out on this hard left turn with some big log jams in it. I felt the hardest part of the river was the first 2 miles. when I ran the river I had a 18 ft jet craft. Just a side note I met a guy once (who had pictures to prove it) had his 20ft inboard all the way to the lake during a high water period. If your zodiac had a prop gaurd you would do fine.

Talking

Yep, navigable in a jet boat. The 20-Mile, above its confluence with the Glacier River, gets skinny and is full of tree's and stumps. There's even a couple spots you have to weave through a couple dead trees pointed downstream in the channel. It is closed to sport fishing about 10 miles up from the highway, which is a few miles upstream of the confluence.

And I'd love to see video of someone running the 20-Mile 10 miles upstream of the confluence with Glacier River......there is one heck of a rapids/falls you'd have had to run thru to get that far!!! Not to mention you'd be at about 1200 feet or so in elevation...

Default wrong estamate

Quote Originally Posted by 375JDJ View Post
    Yep, navigable in a jet boat. The 20-Mile, above its confluence with the Glacier River, gets skinny and is full of tree's and stumps. There's even a couple spots you have to weave through a couple dead trees pointed downstream in the channel. It is closed to sport fishing about 10 miles up from the highway, which is a few miles upstream of the confluence.

And I'd love to see video of someone running the 20-Mile 10 miles upstream of the confluence with Glacier River......there is one heck of a rapids/falls you'd have had to run thru to get that far!!! Not to mention you'd be at about 1200 feet or so in elevation...
    These were estamates, but I guess on a river this short I should have been clearer. Acording to my map it is about 6 miles to the confluence, if that is the case, I have been appx 4 miles further up each river. As far as the pictures, after doing some research, it was in a 18ft marathon marine rockrusher jet boat. I think the guy was or maybe is a dealer for them in the anchorage area. I also believe that alaska raft and kayak has had there Mokai jet kayaks up to carman lake. sorry for the incorect information. (by the way it would only be 356.1 feet in elevation)

Default 20 Mile

Where do you find a map for 20 mile? I've heard it's a blast for silvers and I'm getting ready to put a jet on my 17ft wooldy Alaskan.

Default maps

I used IGage all TOPO Maps. It is a CD Rom map set of alaska.

Default 20 Mile

We done it in two canoes lashed together, very stable, and a 5hp Piranha prop. Only 6 bucks a blade!
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Thanks for the info on IGage and the Topo map; I've wanted to explore 20 mile since I came to Alaska...looks like this is the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast