Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 mile run

Default 20 mile run

Just went up 20 mile to the "Y" in the river: (several different boats) and we took the left river, that section has some of the biggest rock (didn't see them) that I've ever hit in my boat. We all turned around and I hit a few more going back to the "Y" did some damage but its managable.

The other boaters all said they hit rocks too.

Question:

Is the river to the right a safer route up stream?

No. It is not bad until the next y then right is a little tricky and left can be brutal

I bounced off enough rocks on that little section, not sure if I am ready for "Brutal" till I get more hours under my belt. haha
    Was a good trip though, lots of nice scenery and company. Oh and did not have to use winch, so that was a bonus.
    Mike

It really starts to get interesting when you pass the no fishing marker. One place I'd like to explore is upper Carmen, now that would be a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    It really starts to get interesting when you pass the no fishing marker. One place I'd like to explore is upper Carmen, now that would be a good time.
    I went up 20 mile Saturday with two other boaters and we all had Jet inboards, and we all went Left at the fork. I was told the river to the left went to 20 mile lake and the river to the right of the fork went to Carmen lake.

I can say we all hit rocks, and I hit several very large submerged rock that I didn't see at all. The water was very rough with large waves and it was hard to see those submerged stones.

I flatten part of a chine and put more than one dent into the bottom of my boat. We turned around up that left fork about 1-2 miles and went back to the fork and did a little fishing, directly across a white sign I couldn't read.

I won't be going up the left (river) fork if I ever go back up the 20 mile. I think I'll take the right next time. I did take a look at the water just past the fork to the right and it looked like three different braids you could take, so which one do you take to go further up steam and toward carmen lake. Or is the right fork section as bad as the left fork section

I'd love to hear from 20 mile experts which way you go Left or right at the big fork.

Ya Buddy, went with him on Saturday and hit some nice rocks too...the Hardkor payed off again, on little indent and two little scrapes....still wana know whats up to the right of that fork though???..."fishon"

From your description, that was the glacier fork you were on it is only about three miles to the lake, maybe less. The right will take you to carmen, less challenging to the hull construction. Ther is a route through the glacier fork you can run without hitting rocks, but it can be expensive to get it right. 3/8 bottoms with steel skidplates help. When I rid running w/ glacier jet I would tap once every few trips when the water was low.

I'd have to agree with akgravel....doesn't sound like you were up the 20mile...there is no rough water up there...

how 'bout some pics
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I'd have to agree with akgravel....doesn't sound like you were up the 20mile...there is no rough water up there...

how 'bout some pics
    I really don't know for sure what the rivers are called at the fork, but the left side was pretty rough with good size waves, and some big rocks (under water) that I hit. Maybe the water was high since I didn't see any surface rocks at all.

I did see a white ADF&G sign on a tree near the left fork and on the right side (right fork) the river broke into 3 braids. Bob, HCL and company all stopped to fish and look around. Saw some big Bear prints, walk away from the river into the woods and ran into a small water pond with a an old tree stand with an Aluminum ladder leaning against a tree. The floor plan had triange shape, looked like it has been there for years.

I try and post the few pictures we did take.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I really don't know for sure what the rivers are called at the fork, but the left side was pretty rough with good size waves, and some big rocks (under water) that I hit. Maybe the water was high since I didn't see any surface rocks at all.

I did see a white ADF&G sign on a tree near the left fork and on the right side (right fork) the river broke into 3 braids. Bob, HCL and company all stopped to fish and look around. Saw some big Bear prints, walk away from the river into the woods and ran into a small water pond with a an old tree stand with an Aluminum ladder leaning against a tree. The floor plan had triange shape, looked like it has been there for years.

I try and post the few pictures we did take.
    Huh,,,put that (post) together rather poorly, meant to say; Saw some big Bear prints, walking away from the river and into the wooded area towards a small pond, the tracks were (ran) around the area, which had an old tree stand with an Aluminum ladder leaning against a tree (nearby) on the other side of the pond....Huh...

Sorry buddy, no pix...wife had the camera...when can we get you to lead bro? I wana hit it again....mayb heading to Alexander this weekend..."fishon"

how 'bout some pics

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Sorry buddy, no pix...wife had the camera...when can we get you to lead bro? I wana hit it again....mayb heading to Alexander this weekend..."fishon"
    Well, now that I have my moose in the freezer, it looks like I'll be back on the rivers again, so we'll be able to run soon
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

how 'bout some pics

Looks like a few pictures were taken with these two being the best;

Picture 057.jpgPicture 059.jpg

When we go, we take the right side at the "Y" which is the Glacier River going towards Carmen Lake. 2 weekends ago the log jam had it pretty much closed off per a friend of ours that had to "jump" over it in his Extreme Shallow. Not sure what it's like now. If you guys do head up, let us know - would love to go also!

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    When we go, we take the right side at the "Y" which is the Glacier River going towards Carmen Lake. 2 weekends ago the log jam had it pretty much closed off per a friend of ours that had to "jump" over it in his Extreme Shallow. Not sure what it's like now. If you guys do head up, let us know - would love to go also!
    I'd like to go again, just to see exactly how other boaters are do it. That log jam has an opening cut into to it, and we passed right through it (not much room) it was a dead end and a hard turn but a cool clean pass. That was pretty fun.

Several others are planning a possible run on Saturday the 10th to the Big su maybe down river to the Alexander, Bob the fisher, HCL, myself and ???? your more than welcome to come along.

Keep an eye on the river levels, the 20mile was running at over 110000 cfs, that high water is the easiest run to the glacier you can hope for. As the water drops the right route becomes more and more important. Be careful if you decide to run it at lower flows, you may find vulnerabilities in your boats even with uhmw and hardcore .

Riton! Riton!....thanx..."fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Keep an eye on the river levels, the 20mile was running at over 110000 cfs, that high water is the easiest run to the glacier you can hope for. As the water drops the right route becomes more and more important. Be careful if you decide to run it at lower flows, you may find vulnerabilities in your boats even with uhmw and hardcore .

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    .....Several others are planning a possible run on Saturday the 10th to the Big su maybe down river to the Alexander, Bob the fisher, HCL, myself and ???? your more than welcome to come along.
    If the weather is crappy out of PWS preventing us from getting out, we might just be able to join you all. Hopefully we will be able to know what we are doing by Friday night. I'll PM you if we are able to join you by Friday (if you all are still going)....
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    If the weather is crappy out of PWS preventing us from getting out, we might just be able to join you all. Hopefully we will be able to know what we are doing by Friday night. I'll PM you if we are able to join you by Friday (if you all are still going)....
    Tammy

PM heading your way....

My 11-yr old got drawn for any bull for Twentymile/ Placer. We'll probably head up there from Sterling after the 20th. Checked it out this morning while driving by on the way home from Anchorage. A lot of water moving thru there today....
    Morgan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast