Thread: Moving to AK in 2 years....ish

Default Moving to AK in 2 years....ish

Hi folks, the woman and i will be moving to Alaska in a couple years, after she retires as a school teacher here. We are obviously loking for a dream piece of land to buy. This would be in the 20+ acre range that i can get to by truck year round. SO far we are liking the Matsu valley area and the Kenai area. Haines/skagway are also possibilities. We wanna build our own log home, so land with plenty of timber is a big +. I will probably still work/open my own business. She might work....might not.

Let me list what i am looking for, and maybe someone can help steer us the right way.

The Anchorage area up to Talkeetna has weather just like we get here in ND, so that is no issue to us. I can do colder/longer winters, but the woman doesnt want it....for now.

We want good, useable acreage for our home so that i can do some farming. So 20+ acres would be nice.

Land with water on it or very near is also nice. I wanna fish and hunt as close to home as i can.

We are wolf people, so they are welcome around our homestead. HOWEVER i am not so dense as to think they would not look upon my livestock as dinner, so i will prepare accordingly. Same goes for bear and moose.

Some nice MTN views would also be nice. Dont want strictly flat land all around us. ND is flat enough.... And/or water/inlet views would be good too.

I wanna be able to drive to my property year round. I dont mind useing the tractor to keep my roads open if needed.

I dont mind if there is a cabin on the property or not.

Dont wanna spend a metric butt-load for the land. I have seen some nice 40 acre parcels for sale for around 25k. IF they are what they are listed as being then i may grab one of them.

Any info here would help. thanx to all.

Dropy,
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think that land exists up here at that price. My wife and I live on the Peninsula and we looked all around the state for 3 years for something similar... no dice. Talkeetna and Delta may be similar to ND winters in temp, but length and darkness are much different.
    You mentioned farming, what are you looking at farming up here? There isn't much farming in AK, definitely not in Kenai on a larger scale. Palmer/Wasilla area are the only big farms to my knowledge and if the land is able to be farmed and on the road system it's going to be very pricey. Much of the land has permafrost or acidic soil, just beware.
    There are more bogs and tundra in the state than anything else, so be careful and physically check it out before you buy anything. If you are seeing 40 acres for 25k with water and timber I'd bet the place is boggy with no access, just sayin. Please don't buy anything off the internet without seeing it in person!
    I'm not trying to bash your dreams, far from it... I've seen so many folks come and go in the few years we have lived here it boggles the mind. Most people get in way over their heads, they never think about, no plows to most of these cheap places, the cost of everything being so high and getting into most places require special equipment for access depending on the season. A bale of hay down here and I mean mangey weedy hay goes for $10.00 to $20.00 depending on the time of year. Yes the small bales!
    Really think about what you want to get out of Alaska and read some of the other sections here such as the hunting and cabin discussions... real eye openers as to the scarcity of game and what it takes to make it up here.
    Do your research and maybe plan a trip to see some of the areas first before you start making offers on land, ask some locals what it's like during the winter where they are at. If your sweetie is on the fence about cold and longer winters now, what do you think is going to change her mind to make a go of it up here?
    Just some things to ponder, let me know if you have any more questions.

Mountaintrekker

Default Winter, and spring

Here in Alaska its also very beneficial to see your prospective property during both full-on winter, and during spring break-up. You can get two completely different stories.

The other factor is the Baby'Boomers are retiring and leaving Los Anchorage and buying rural land anywhere with-in one hour of a hospital. Land in the Hope, AK. area has exploded to $75,000.-- per acre, and some is now listed at $99,000.-- per acre for low land that needs fill. There is very little private land in Alaska.

I hate to be another bubble burster, but to get any land that has road access is going to cost you about $25k just for the fact there is a road to the land, and the land is extra.

We need to start a sticky on this forum or perhaps the cabin forum regarding the realities of land in Alaska. The reality is good fishing and hunting nearby won't have a road to it. And land you have to fly out to may be inexpensive for the land, but the cost of living there, getting there, and getting supplies in will be more expensive than if a road goes to the land.

As has been mentioned in other threads, you need to come up here and spend a year or two renting and traveling the state to learn the reality of living in Alaska, and to be able to visit various properties at different times of the year. Living in Alaska can be the outdoorsmans dream, but it'll take alot more research and money than you will expect. Finding the right location is well worth the time and expense it'll take.

Farming is tough up here, there are limited crops that do well in the cool weather, and when you had a summer like this one, where there were only a handful of times the temperature broke into the 70's, it's even tougher.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yeah, we started doing our research 2 years ago. Will be up next summer for a visit. Once we move up we plan to either bring a 5th wheel and travel thru alaska and take our time, or rent a place and go from there. No huge hurry to buy, unless a super deal comes up. In a hurry to get there, but no hurry to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

We need to start a sticky on this forum or perhaps the cabin forum regarding the realities of land in Alaska. The reality is good fishing and hunting nearby won't have a road to it.
    I think I'll respectfully challenge that conclusion. There are places you can drive to, that have a lot of top shelf fishing and hunting. This is even more valid if it is in a NO ATV allow area. I have excellent hunting and fishing in my own back or front yard, as do people who live in Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Summit Lake (Kenai), the very end of Funny River Road. Now factor in that just by living here, you get free subsistence caribou permit, 10 days advance moose subsistence permit, get to net 30 salmon at the Russian River Falls. There is Sooooo much good hunting & fishing here if you live here in lovely Sunrise, Alaska.

Paved State maintained Hope Road, My electric bill is $14.88 per month, I am part of the ACS phone system. There are a total of 14 humans who live here. Most everyone owns 5 to 20 acres, we all have our own shooting ranges. We are surrounded by the Chugach National Forest. If you can walk and don't need to own a ATV............this is heaven of earth. We are 55 minutes by ambulance to five hospitals (Seward, Soldotna, Anchorage) and good shopping in all three locations. Taxes are low, very low, I pay $322.-- total taxes on 15.6 acres and three buildings. Did I mention "World Class White Water Rafting". And Water Fowl hunting in the mouth of Six Mile Creek.

You can still find 4-5 acres with gravel maintained roads off Funny River Rd, out of Soldotna. Not exactly what you are looking for and if you look towards Homer maybe even more. http://www.alaskarealestate.com