Thread: GMU 13 changes

Thumbs up GMU 13 changes

Caribou- TierII hunters may not use off-road vehicules weighing more than 1,500 lbs or a plane to transport hunters, their equipment of game. If you obtain a TierII permit, you may not hunt Caribou anywhere else in Alaska the same regulatory year. You must leave the meat on the bone and salvage the head, hide, liver, heart and kidneys. A permittee may transfer a TierII permit to 2nd-degree kindred family member, in addition to the existing proxy hunt. Moose- TierIi hunters, Same- except no salvage head & hide. TIER II SCORING CHANGES- The taxable income of all members of a household will be considered. A family of four or fewer members will receive zero points on this question if the total taxable income of all household members exceeds $51,640. The cutoff will be adjusted upward for larger households. If household income exceeds the cutoff, the total score for the application will be zero. If there are TierII permts remaining, but a pool of applicants with the same score is too large to award all permits, a random drawing is done to award the remaining permits. In other words, if there is a large pool of people with a score of zero, there will be a random drawing if there are permits remaining.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    .......A permittee may transfer a TierII permit to 2nd-degree kindred family member, in addition to the existing proxy hunt.......
    Oh, so if I live in Glennallen and fall under the income restriction, I can transfer my permit to my brother who's a doctor in Chicago?

Yeah. That'll be a real popular maneuver.................

Dedwuf,
    Do you have a written reference you are citing from? I would like to see the decisions the BOG has made this year. Some of the articles written in the local papers have been contradictory. Not only on the Nelchina Caribou, but some of the other proposals, if adopted will have far reaching consequences, to most of us.

Default i can't wait

to see dumpsters overflowing with caribou heads.
    god forbid this can't be a drawing permit; that might make sense!

Default Here ya go.

I just got this today/

Caribou

Tier II hunters may not use off-road vehicles weighing more than 1,500 pounds or a plane to transport hunters, their equipment or game.

If you obtain a Tier II permit, you may not hunt caribou anywhere else in Alaska the same regulatory year.

You must leave the meat on the bone and salvage the head, hide, liver, heart and kidneys.

A permittee may transfer a Tier II permit to a second-degree kindred family member, in addition to the existing proxy hunting regulations.

Moose

Tier II hunters (August) may not use off-road vehicles weighing more than 1,500 pounds or a plane to transport hunters, their equipment or game.

If you obtain a Tier II permit, you may not hunt moose anywhere else in Alaska the same regulatory year.

All hunters must leave meat on the bone and salvage the heart and liver.

A permittee may transfer a Tier II permit to a second-degree kindred family member, in addition to the existing proxy hunting regulations.

Tier II scoring changes

New questions:

The taxable income of all members of a household will be considered. A family of four or fewer members will receive zero points on this question if the total taxable income of all household members exceeds $51,640. The cutoff will be adjusted upward for larger households.

If household income exceeds the cutoff, the total score for the application will be zero. If there are Tier II permits remaining, but a pool of applicants with the same score is too large to award all permits, a random drawing is done to award the remaining permits. In other words, if there is a large pool of people with a score of zero, there will a random drawing if there permits remaining.

Another question will ask how many days the applicant spends hunting and fishing (non-commercially) in Unit 13. Maximum points will be awarded to applicants who spend 70 days or more hunting and fishing in Unit 13.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Unhappy This should be fun!

First of all, note the $51.6 threshold is based on "taxable income". this is the number you find on line 43 I believe. This would be after all deductions and credits in some cases.
    Now, you will have to add up all the line 43's for all the people living in your household. If you have "uncle Bob", or anyone living with you that is not on your and your wife's return, you will have to get that number out of them.

Keep in mind, your kids PFD's will require them to file a tax return as well and that will count toward the $51.6k , and if you have managed to get the little b'strd's to work, their wages will add in as well.

Now, just how they will manage this part of it should be VERY interesting. Does anyone really think you will have to file a copy of all the tax returns in your house with FISH AND GAME?. For a "chance" at a permit? Oh boy, I can see it now, 10 thousand tax returns sitting on the floor.
    What's the verification process if they don't require a copy of the tax return? Your honor? LOLOL they have accused us for years of lying to get a permit...I can guarentee you will see the book on lying rewritten.

Days hunted in the area should be another chapter in you lie, I'll swear to it.
    People, there isn't alot to gather other than fish from Oct to June! Berries don't get ripe till Sept, hunting seasons don't start till Aug, and are over except Caribou in Sept. If you put in 70 days for max points, you are spending way to much money on g a s o l i n e.

This is the biggest farce I have seen in 53 years.

Kurt

Thumbs up

Grizzly is open year round, come up in the summer and bust one, especially from Denali Staete park to the Middle fork of the Chulitna. Both the baby Moose calves that survived in that area will thank you!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Grizzly is open year round, come up in the summer and bust one, especially from Denali Staete park to the Middle fork of the Chulitna. Both the baby Moose calves that survived in that area will thank you!!
    It's kinda neat to hunt brown bear, but they taste nasty, and what do you do with them after you've shot a couple? Most folks only have so much wall space to hang them on. You can't sell (or "barter") them. You just stack them up in the garage? Or pay a couple thousand dollars to have them rugged out and give them away?

My guess is State wide most Brown bear meat stays in the field. If your interested in predator control, its good practice tracking, stalking and getting out in the woods. Tack them on your garage.

Default What to do with bear hides from GMU 13

Insulate your house with them.

Donate them to the Salvation army for blankets.

Fill em with straw and practice shooting at them with your bow.

Replace your carpet with hides. Shaving to equal length might help.

Donate to your local bar to hang on thier wall.

Give it to the local boy scouts or 4-H clubs.

Many many things you can do. I actually don't mind the meat on some of them. I always give it a try after we get one down, to check for flavor. In the interior, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting one that's edible. But what is always edible is the meat from the moose you'll get by getting rid of some grizzlies.

If you haven't been up there, I think you would be amazed at how many griz's there are. You get down in the river bottoms, the ground is covered in tracks. Looks like McNeil river as far as tracks, but those interior bears are wiley in comparison. Everything they eat has legs, so they have to be stealthy, and wary, so you don't see nearly as many as there are.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default bears

is there really that many more bears from the park up to the chulitna? i have'nt been up there in a while myself.

fill em with hay and shoot at them! classic...thanks for the laugh! lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    ....I actually don't mind the meat on some of them. I always give it a try after we get one down, to check for flavor. In the interior, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting one that's edible....
    Yuck.

Even if I did acquire a taste for them, I'd never get Mrs. Mark to try it again. And I try to see to it that she's the cook around here........

But what is always edible is the meat from the moose you'll get by getting rid of some grizzlies.
    Agreed. I suppose I could always give them away in the raw.

If you haven't been up there, I think you would be amazed at how many griz's there are. You get down in the river bottoms, the ground is covered in tracks. Looks like McNeil river as far as tracks, but those interior bears are wiley in comparison. Everything they eat has legs, so they have to be stealthy, and wary, so you don't see nearly as many as there are.
    Yeah, GMU 13 is full of them. Just about every trip out there in summer/fall I see bears or sign. But since I'm usually chasing something else, I don't go chasing the bears. Even after getting an ungulate down, I usually don't have the time afterwards to hunt the gutpile anymore. If the wife goes out with me she's usually limited my time out there with millions of reasons to get back home, and even when I go out alone I've usually only got a few days before I've gotta get back to work.

Angry slavage requirements

The worst thing about the salvage requirements in Nelchina basin is that they discourage the very hunters they are trying to promote, subsistance hunters. The most needy subsistance hunters are likely to hunt on foot, but it would be prohibitive for a walk in hunter to pack out an entire moose including head, hide, bones, guts, etc. considering spoilage. A caribou would even be difficult. They are basically requiring a machine with the salvage requirement.
    Last edited by Sollybug; 03-20-2007 at 11:05. Reason: spelling

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    The worst thing about the salvage requirements in Nelchina basin is that they discourage the very hunters they are trying to promote, subsistance hunters. The most needy subsistance hunters are likely to hunt on foot, but it would be prohibitive for a walk in hunter to pack out an entire moose including head, hide, bones, guts, etc. considering spoilage. A caribou would even be difficult. They are basically requiring a machine with the salvage requirement.
    Worse, for the past several years the bulk of the herd has been pushed away from the highways and into the more remote areas. Road hunting the Denali Hwy was getting to be a quite low success hunt. Not only was it requiring an off-road machine, but long trips on them to get into their range. Now swampbuggys and aircraft don't qualify, and households with income as low as $51,??? might not have much gear for extended hunting trips so far from the highways.

This is really going to get interesting................