Thread: 1st Alaska fishing trip.... any advice?

Default 1st Alaska fishing trip.... any advice?

Going to be in ketchikan for a week starting the 20th of July next year. Then spend a week touring the interior towards Denali.

Will we be too late for Kings?

We are planning on renting a skiff & do our own thing. We have fished off the coast of BC & Washington state before (salmon). Would like a chance at Halibut, don't know where to go, depth, bait, etc.... Any advice would be appreciated!!

The gals might not like the choppy seas, so some shore fishing will surely happen. Any advice as to where, bait etc..?

Would like to try some freshwater fishing for trout, (maybe for kings??) Any rivers/lakes that you could direct us to??

I have done some searching, and have an idea as to what gear to bring. But any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input !!

Quote Originally Posted by wtarcher77 View Post
    Going to be in ketchikan for a week starting the 20th of July next year. Then spend a week touring the interior towards Denali.

Will we be too late for Kings?

We are planning on renting a skiff & do our own thing. We have fished off the coast of BC & Washington state before (salmon). Would like a chance at Halibut, don't know where to go, depth, bait, etc.... Any advice would be appreciated!!

The gals might not like the choppy seas, so some shore fishing will surely happen. Any advice as to where, bait etc..?

Would like to try some freshwater fishing for trout, (maybe for kings??) Any rivers/lakes that you could direct us to??

I have done some searching, and have an idea as to what gear to bring. But any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input !!
    Not sure about Ketch, but you are a ferry ride away from some good fishing on Prince of Wales..

thanks for the reply

any more would be welcome !!

Were I in your shoes and had an adventuresome spirit, I would check out Howard McKim at http://www.ketchikankayakco.com/

But I will definitely second 270ti's reply. Floatplane or ferry-head over to Prince of Wales. I go there every year and will be there in less than 2 weeks for a week of Coho fishing.

Good luck planning your trip. Check out the nautical charts for Ketchikan and surrounding waters. Searching on here will get you plenty of fishing tips for what you want to do.