Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you fret about 2 brow tines on right and 3 on left or call him legal and shoot.

Default Would you fret about 2 brow tines on right and 3 on left or call him legal and shoot.

I went out looking to kill a Grizzly bear yesterday but ran into this guy instead. After snapping a few photos of him I left him alone and kept looking for a bear. No bear.
    Anyway I got to thinking this bull may be a fine candidate for discussion. In a unit with the 4 brow tine or 50 inch minimum would this bull cause any of you guys to ponder his legality?
    For an out of state hunter who is not too savvy at field judging moose antlers or even a resident hunter looking at him and wondering ''do I or don't I '', this bull offers us an opportunity to do some on the hoof measuring.
    As for me? He's a fine bull. In an area that is currently open with no restrictions on antlers to residents but a 4 brow tine or 50 inch minimum to non-residents. A bit young but I'm guessing he is right at 59 or 60 inches. Maybe 62. In two years he will be a very good bull.

You got to be kidding, look at the size of the body, he an old bull his antlers will be smaller next years. That is one nice animal.

Index finger - 2 lbs of pull - BAM - work begins!

Nothing there for me to ponder, he is obviously 50"+ at a glance to my eyes. I would pull the trigger as soon as I had a good shot on him.

Taking brow tine count into consideration is something I often have to remind myself to do, the first and foremost aspect I look for is spread. I think this is due to the fact that where I have done the majority of my moose hunting tends produce bulls with a predisposition to develope 2 brow tines per side even up to 60". It drives me crazy.

9" between the eyes, multiply it out = easily 50". Bang. "crap". Bang Bang bang. "Crap...now the work begins".
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

omg! Im getting excited just looking at the pictures! That is a nice Bull. He is pushing 60 AT LEAST! BANG

His antlers are so flat, usually when see one without enough brow tines they are tall and narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

This bull is certainly in the sixty-inch class, probably 65 or so, if I had to estimate based on these photos. He is not a younger bull. One thing I look at is the dewlap. On many (not all) younger bulls, the dewlap is long and ropy. As the moose goes through a few winters, that ropy dewlap can freeze and drop off, leaving the sort of dewlap you see on this bull. But I don't think he's really old either. See how thin and short his palms are? That can indicate a younger animal. I think he's middle-aged and has some growing to do. Couple more years and he could be quite a bit larger. He's obviously got genetics on his side both in terms of flat spread and body size. I disagree with JKB on the antlers. In my experience the only correlation between palm length, spread, overall mass, brow tine count and other aspects is genetics. Some areas produce moose with tall cupped antlers, some areas seem to grow wide or heavy antlers, and others grow large bodied animals. Well, okay, you see some mixing of those components, but I'd bet that in a given area two bulls with similar antler configurations are probably related. It's a mistake to assume therefore that a moose with wide antlers and few brow tines is young. Some moose will never grow four brow tines, regardless of age, and I have seen many absolute bruisers with only two brow tines.

No offense, just my take. Great pics, though! Be nice to get some actual measurements. Lotsa meat on that bull, btw. I'd bet those rear quarters are over 150 lbs. apiece!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    No offense, just my take. Great pics, though! Be nice to get some actual measurements. Lotsa meat on that bull, btw. I'd bet those rear quarters are over 150 lbs. apiece!

Mike
    I was just thinking about that and how freakin big that moose looks in those pictures! What's your guess on live weight on that guy? 1100-1200lbs?

Nice moose but not really a good candidate for a shoot/don't shoot discussion as he's clearly way over 50".

The brow tine count is a back-up to the 50" rule for when you're not sure. I'm sure there a guys out there who are a bit paranoid and wouldn't pull the trigger on this bull if they were in a 4 browtine area...and man I hope they're hunting next to me.

Even if he had no brow tines at all I would shoot this bull without hesitation.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

No hesitation! Boom! That bull is legal anywhere in the state, no debate to be had. Without knowing the whole story, I'd say you just passed on a bull that may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. This pic says it all. He's 65"+

I'd bet those rear quarters are over 150 lbs. apiece!

Mike
    I agree!!

Also, look at the tops of the main palm. Many young bulls have distinct points, where this one the palms are all rounded off on top. This is typical of old mature bulls.

nice pictures! very nice looking bull. id have to agree that antler size/config might not be consistient with age but more so genetics. we have one area up here that every bull seems to look alike. they all have fairly narrow palms, fairly tall and all about the same spread. then you go maybe 20 miles and they have much wider palms, way more brow tines, and overall better looking antlers. maybe feed has something to do with that or genetics or that the populations are for some reson isolated from each other and keep interbreeding. anyways great pics again. lucky for you, you didn't have to pack him out. good luck on the bear hunting.

This bull is certainly in the sixty-inch class, probably 65 or so, if I had to estimate based on these photos. He is not a younger bull. One thing I look at is the dewlap. On many (not all) younger bulls, the dewlap is long and ropy. As the moose goes through a few winters, that ropy dewlap can freeze and drop off, leaving the sort of dewlap you see on this bull. But I don't think he's really old either. See how thin and short his palms are? That can indicate a younger animal. I think he's middle-aged and has some growing to do. Couple more years and he could be quite a bit larger. He's obviously got genetics on his side both in terms of flat spread and body size. I disagree with JKB on the antlers. In my experience the only correlation between palm length, spread, overall mass, brow tine count and other aspects is genetics. Some areas produce moose with tall cupped antlers, some areas seem to grow wide or heavy antlers, and others grow large bodied animals. Well, okay, you see some mixing of those components, but I'd bet that in a given area two bulls with similar antler configurations are probably related. It's a mistake to assume therefore that a moose with wide antlers and few brow tines is young. Some moose will never grow four brow tines, regardless of age, and I have seen many absolute bruisers with only two brow tines.

Mike
    The 4 brow tine area in 20d will produce huge bodied bulls with tall narrow antlers with 2 to 3 brow tines. You stand those antlers up a few degrees and you'd be very hesitant to shoot. In his configuration very shootable. Either way great pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Send the coordinates where you saw him and I'll take the measurements.
    Paul

uh, i don't understand the question....
    BANG!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dang that's a very large bodied bull. I'd hope it's a short haul for sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Dang that's a very large bodied bull. I'd hope it's a short haul for sure!!!
    Haul distance would be my only concern also, looks like semi box with legs! Kerpow!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice, way to stir everybody up on here.

I would drop him as soon as my cross hairs settled on his vitals...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast