Thread: Archery tournaments in AK

Default Archery tournaments in AK

I shoot 3-d and indoor tournaments all over the country. I'm moving to AK next summer and i was if there are any 3-d or indoor tournaments around there? If there are no 3-d ranges would you guys want to shoot one? I have a range here in west Arkansas and I'll bring my targets with me.

There are no ranges setup with 3D animals at all. We have a few shoots per summer using the State association targets. In the winter Cook Inlet Archers and Black Sheep Bowmen in the Anchorage area host once a month 3-D shoots. There are a few indoor spot tournaments per season also. How will you bring your targets and where will you set them up? 3D targets are prohibitively expensive up here due to shipping. Many in my local area want to start a 3D league, but finding the $10,000 for 20 targets stops us cold.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the reply. As for getting the targets up there when I move, I'll just put them in the U-haul with the rest of my stuff. I'm glad to know there is intrestbin 3-d up there. I'd be lost without it. I should be moving up there next summer. That's when my wife gets out of school.

There is an interest, but it's relatively small. Most shoots are a few dozen people, tops. It's really tough to get anyone to come to a shoot in the summer, but folks are trying.

THe shoots around here are the same way. It's hard to get people out during the summer here because of the heat. It was 115 degrees here one day this summer. It was hotter here than in DEATH VALLY!!! No fun shooting in temps like that. When I started my range here I knew I would not make tons of money. I did it for the love of the sport. It will be the same there. I'll do it cause I love it. Plus, I get to meet a lot of awesome people!

I hope it works for you. I have shot at a couple small private 3d courses in the states over the years and it's been a blast.

Both Juneau and Petersburg have nice outdoor ranges. They both have bales out year round, Petersburg has 3d targets all year too. Not a big crowd for tournaments but its still fun.

I know that the cook inlet archery club host a once a month 3D shoot. They are located in Birchwood on the back side of the Loretta French Park. They have a fairly nice range.

So did you ever make it up here?

Thurs nights from 7pm to 9pm Golden North Archery Association has a shoot outside of Fairbanks. Its not very big but it is a lot of fun.

any contact info for the GNAA I am interested in shooting.