Thread: knik glacier trail?

Default knik glacier trail?

How far up knik river valley can you take a four wheeler? is there trails up metal or friday creek? i'm under the assumption you cannot get one to grasshopper valley? does this sound right? looking to find out what sort of ground access there is up that direction for some weekend fun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have never been past the glacier and that was water level dependent. I went up a trail at metal creek years ago but not far. Not sure where it ends. I have been told from pilots that there is no way to get a wheeler past the glacier but that could be to keep people from playing in there hunting spots.

We've crossed metal creek and been up in the hills to the left of the glacier, but not far. We've scouted and looked for a trail that went up Metal Creek itself (not the trail that goes up to the mining claim) and haven't found it although I've heard there is on there. Might be worth going back in winter and riding the creek when it's frozen. We've done that with Jim Creek before, but never Metal Creek.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

thanks guy, trying to figure out if i can get back to some mt goats this oct....never been on a wheeler up that way, just in the air.
    Master guide 212

I'm pretty sure that the mt goat is draw up there. There's a few trails up this side of metal creek that don't go very far. You will still have a he'll of a hike once they end to get into any good sheep or goats.

ya thats kinda what i figured....
    Master guide 212

Couple years back I talked to a guy at the pavilion parking lot that claimed to be cutting an atv trail to grasshopper valley with his buddy. Said he was making serious progress and should have it done within a few years. He had some outlandish stories, the kind that leave your jaw on the ground and make you say absolutely no way that stuff happened. Imagine boating the Metal Creek canyon in an airboat, yeah he'd been there done that. I have no idea if his stories were true or nothing more than over the top camp fire stories but man were they fun to listen to.

I've always meant to poke around the glacier and seek out the mythological grasshopper valley trail. I'm always out there during the wrong time of year to cross metal creek. I sure wouldn't mind taking a late fall trip to the glacier and scout for the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    He had some outlandish stories, the kind that leave your jaw on the ground and make you say absolutely no way that stuff happened. Imagine boating the Metal Creek canyon in an airboat, yeah he'd been there done that. I have no idea if his stories were true or nothing more than over the top camp fire stories but man were they fun to listen to.
    Yeah, that sounds like fun, but I wouldn't bother looking for his Grasshopper Valley Trail.

I've always meant to poke around the glacier and seek out the mythological grasshopper valley trail.
    I remember years ago wishing I could get into the Friday Creek drainage. My neighbor used mules during the late 1980's and early 90's to access the area. Sure enough, the last time I was up in the area (2006 maybe?) there is now an ATV trail going up where he used to walk his mules.

The hump over to Grasshopper Valley looks like it can be negotiated. If there is no ATV trail over it now, I'm actually quite surprised.

I've heard of people using mule/llama on the Friday creek trail. I wouldn't be so worried about atv's accessing the trail as it is a nasty steep trail that have caused many wrecks and injuries not to mention the helo rescues. The trail has been there for quite some time, my father in law hurt himself pretty good up there on an ATV in the early 90's.

I wouldn't mind getting over to grasshopper, it would actually be quite fun. It would be one of the few areas I haven't explored out there.

About five years ago, someone was cutting a new trail over the knob on the other side of metal creek near the glacier. One of the three guys I was with couldn't handle the steepness so we turned around. It had only been ridden a few times then. I didn't realize we would have had to cross the creek again at the time. Don't remember where it started at.