Thread: Optics

Default Optics

Taking my 1st Alaska trip I trying to fine tune my shopping list...Where do you spend your money on optics? Obviously, you need a scope, spotting scope & binoculars, but what is the priorty? I will be buying all except the spotting scope(my father has a 15yr old weathrby spotting scope, do I need a new one?). You can spend easily a few thousand on alll of the above, but I can't afford that!! Which one matters most, 2nd, 3rd? Is buying Swarovski worth it, if so which optic unit do I spend that money on

you can't kill what you can't see. if your buget is limited I would spend as much as you can on bino's. the binos are your most used tool period. is swarovski woth the $$$ yep. I personally use leica, but any leica, zeiss, swarovski is going to let you glass more effectively and longer w/o fatigue.

there are other optics that are worth buying....pentax, minox, nikon, leupold....many more.

If I had a budget of say $1500.00 I would drop 800-1000 on a used pair of top shelf bino's and pray for a deal on a pf65ed spotter.

you don't need a spotter. you can always just walk a few miles closer and see if it what you like, of course a few of those trips and the $$ for a spotter is much easier to drop.

THE BINO's!!! without a doubt!!! go with the best you can buy...as for swarovski binos?, they are the best by far. I wouldn't leave home without them. I know they are pricey, but just to have them in your hands feel real good, then when you look through them...you'll know. I say get the bino's and get a somewhat decent scope and you'll be good to go, if your gonna go down a couple of grand for coming up to hunt Alaska, you might as well go down BIG! ...also if your flying, hand carry all your optics! with the exception of the rifle scope, I always hand carry my spotter and binos, got a special pelican attache' case with pick and pluck foam to carry them, even got room for my range finder and GPS,... just a thought for you...good luck on your shopping/ hunting trip..................K

Forum Sponsor

The most used tool will be the binocular. There are excellent options in very fine glass starting in the $500.00 & up range. Are Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss worth the money....absolutely. If, and if is a very big word, your eyes can see the difference and if you can afford to spend the money. There are options available (please feel free to call us to discuss this) that will come darn close in quality at a substantial savings. Please check out http://www.cameralandny.com/demos.html to see our current Demos & Samples.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

You didn't say what you were hunting. Regardless, I have to agree with binoculars, you'll be using them the most. If you are hunting sheep, your guide will have a spotter. Get a good quality rifle scope that you KNOW will not leak or fog up. There are some good ways to save a little money on the top shelf binoculrs, E-Bay, Cameraland and others. Search around.

Default My Setup

Pentax 10x43 DCF SP Binos $430 from Cameraland (Great Deal!)
    Pentax PF65 ED Spotter $599 from Cameraland
    Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 Scope $370 from Ebay
    Total = $1399

Just got the spotter so no field experience, but it's crystal clear. Glassed for hours last fall with the Pentax binos with no eye strain and perfect clarity. Someday I'll have a Big 3 bino but until then there's some excellent binos for alot less money. (Pentax, Minox, Kahles) Ebay gets lots of new or virtually new spotters, so does Cameraland or riflescopes.com. I would definately stick with Zeiss or Leupold for a rifle scope, $900 dollar scopes aren't necessary. Put your money into a pair of great binos before going top dollar on a scope or spotter. Good Luck

Don't trust EBAY, I seen too many Buds get taken! especially optics, you might get lucky, but it just takes that one time. You'd be better off looking at some used or demos from cameraland, at least if you have a problem with one you can take it back, Trust Me......K