Thread: First caribou for rookie hunter!!

Default First caribou for rookie hunter!!

So this is the first year that I have hunted and I got my first Caribou. Its not the biggest but it was a lot of fun and I learned a whole lot that I can use next year. Special thanks to B&C for helping me out I can't say enough great things.

I picked up my buddy early Friday morning and we rolled out to the hunting grounds. It was a little cloudy but no rain and we made it there around 730-8ish. We started glassing seeing a few small herds that were either out of reach or across water and we did not have the equipment to reach them. We continued on and glassed more around 10 we say a small herd 2 bulls one very nice one and another decent one with a 2 cows and a calf. They were very well in reach and we moved up ahead and I went into the brush and I was moving fast to try and get ahead of them and try not to spook them. As I broke through the alders there was a cow right there and I was caught she was stunned I could have shot but I could see the rack of the big bull. I got down low but that was it the cow took off and the rest of the herd followed and they went over a hill that wasn't to far away. I tried to see if they stopped when they went over the hill but I wasn't fast enough getting up there, they were gone. I went back to my buddy and he was nicely (he cussed me out) telling me not to chase them. I am new at this so I still have a lot to learn. So we continued hunting and we weren't finding much but we had seen some moving on a hill top but with no cover we would have never made it close enough to get them. We went further and it started raining and some bou that were across a lake were starting to bed down. It was around 2 and my buddy had to be back home so he can pcs. We made one last pass and the herd that was on top of the hill had moved down and were very accessible. My friend took the lead (he has a million times more experience than I do) we moved slowly top a near by hill top and moved slowly up until we were around 270yds away. He gave me the settle down breath and shoot speech, I was nervous didn't want to miss. I squeezed and none of the bou moved except the one I was shooting kept its head down the others went to high alert. I thought I had missed, but I lunged her and she didn't go down. So I took a second shot and she went weak in the knees and went down. I was so excited to have gotten my first bou it was awesome and I can't wait to do it again. I have a goat hunt coming so I get to have a little more fun still. Here is a pic not a monster but my first and I can't wait to have more time and get a real trophy bull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Way to go - sounds like your hooked now! Good luck on your goat hunt.

Congratulations, Great story. Let me know if you still want my help on the goat hunt.

Way to go! Caribou hunting is fun stuff for sure.

Care to share the caliber and bullet you used ?

Good luck and have a safe goat hunt.

Great job, i cant wait to post my first caribou when i get one hopefully next year. thanks for sharing

Great job. That bull will be a fine eater. Congrats!

Great job! Next time you will be a more educated hunter and be able to use the skill your friend taught and get that big bull you were after.

Enjoyed the story, congrads again! See you next Sept... Good huntin and straight shootin to ya
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.