Thread: Grand Slam with Mike Manns, Homer?

Default Grand Slam with Mike Manns, Homer?

Has anyone ever fished with Mike Manns, boat Artic Addiction out of Homer? He does a Grand Slam trip to the Barrens for Halibut, Ling & Bass. A little $pricey @$370, so was wondering if it was really worth it.
    I do like my Ling and a lot of the guys out of Homer want you to charter the whole boat. As a single or 2, doesn't really work for me.

Yes he is worth it! He very seldom goes to the Barrens he fishes better places than that. BARRENS ARE OVER RATED!!! He is some times refered to as the midnight Mike. Most of his trips he will cover 180 miles. NO ONE WILL WORK HARDER FOR YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Has anyone ever fished with Mike Manns, boat Artic Addiction out of Homer? He does a Grand Slam trip to the Barrens for Halibut, Ling & Bass. A little $pricey @$370, so was wondering if it was really worth it.
    I do like my Ling and a lot of the guys out of Homer want you to charter the whole boat. As a single or 2, doesn't really work for me.
    $370 is spendy for one day, but going to the Barrens would be worth it. Great fishing there still.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

wouldn't want to be out there right now.

.TONIGHT...E WIND 50 KT EXCEPT NE 60 KT WEST OF THE BARREN ISLANDS IN THE EVENING. SEAS 19 FT EXCEPT 13 FT WEST OF THE BARREN ISLANDS. RAIN.

Do not know Manns. But fished out of Chrome Bay for a week in early August. Since we were already closer to the Barrens, Gore, etc. we were able to fish every day when Homer boats were blown in and not take the long boat ride every day. The boat from Homer we saw making the trip most consistently was Arctic Addiction--so i know he fished hard and distance wasn't a problem for him. he seemed to go where the fish were, and yes, the Barrens themselves were overrated. But, some of the other reefs and rocks that far out are well worth investigating and he seemed to be there.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY approve of Mike Manns service. TWO great big "THUMBS UP" (and big toes for that matter!)
    Wife & I used him for the first time this past July. Our only thought was .....WHY DID WE WAIT SO LONG TO GIVE HIM A TRY!!!
    Mike is a great captain and a better guy with a great boat. We will be using him EVERY YEAR from now on. We have had some pretty crummy guides in the past- it was such a joy to find a good one!
    Well worth the money in my opinion.

Have him booked for July 24th, Halibut is good but love my Lings. Find that most charters want a real premium out of Homer or book the whole boat. Kings on the Kasilof, Reds on the Kenai, can't wait until July.
    Did score big Lings in PWS, while out of Seward this year. With butts probably going to 1 next year, need to make the trip worth it. Back to Seward in 2013, with Crackerjack.

I don't know Mike, but I know the excellent reputation Arctic Addiction has, so I don't think you can go wrong if you can afford that price. And I agree with MGH55 to a point. There are places a LOT closer than the Barrens that hold some nice lings and halibut. I'm not going to give away my secrets but last summer I got one client a 102 lb. halibut west of Elizabeth Island and I know there are bigger ones in the area as well. And the first two lings I ever caught were caught west of Elizabeth, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mike is the best! Both as a guide and a person he is top notch!
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.