Thread: Great Start

Default Great Start

Woke up at 4:30am, set out the decoys and started calling a little after 5:30. Had a great start this season, i hope it continues.Did pretty good as well with no boat or any type of watercraft. I puled out 4 Mallard hens and a canvas. I'm ready to go again. (I' m still looking for those darn grouse though)

Just curious, was the calling at 5:30 just for practice, hope you know shooting time wasn't for almost a hour later then 5:30. Sounds like you had a good morning. Bud
    Wasilla

Yeah...like the guys out on the Susitna Flats and for that matter...sure you heard the War starting at 6:05...Even heard some on the Flats start about 15 mins early....just sipped on the coffee and watched them swin in the decoys...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

geeze whats up with all the rebels out that way. me and the other jim area hunters started right on time
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I heard guys opening up at 6 out at cottonwood creek too. I don't know if they just don't realize they are not supposed to shoot before shooting time, or they just don't care. I just do what Duckhunter01 does, just sit back and watch them swim around the blocks. I also try to strike up a conversation with them with my duck calls.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I must have read the regs wrong. But I thought that we were able to hunt 1/2 before sunirse untill sunset. I went off of the fairbanks shooting hours. I may take a little trip to Fish and game before I go out again just to makle sure. Thanks for the heads up gentelmen.

If you look up the waterfowl regulations, it will list legal shooting times for your area. Those times listed are the times that you can begin to legally shoot. It also says you can add or subtract time depending on how many lines of longitude you are from the nearest location listed in the regs. Hope this helps, and I hope you have a good season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by MrandMrsFrias View Post
    I must have read the regs wrong. But I thought that we were able to hunt 1/2 before sunirse untill sunset. I went off of the fairbanks shooting hours. I may take a little trip to Fish and game before I go out again just to makle sure. Thanks for the heads up gentelmen.
    Hmmm. It should have been closer to 6:00 pm, not 5:30 for legal shooting hours around Fairbanks on the opener. You are correct that it is 30 mins. before sunrise to sunset. Here may be the kicker: the waterfowl regs do not list sunrise / sunset times, they list legal shooting hours. So they've already deducted the 30 minutes. Sounds like maybe you were using those time tables as sunrise/sunset, and you may have deducted another 30 minutes?? Watch out for that...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Ha, well thanks for all the info gentlemen, i have indeed been reading the regs wrong i was actually subtracting 30 mins out of the start time. Well now i know. Thanks again. How has Creamers feild been doing, are people getting spots or are they all bunched in together?