Thread: WACH Caribou on Kobuk River.

Default WACH Caribou on Kobuk River.

Thousands of Caribou are crossing up by Onion portage, and a few bands crossing below, downriver , even below Kiana and hopefully here at Noorvik soon.

Mostly Cows, but some Bulls, about 1 in 10 I hear tell and nearly every boat Ive seen that has gone up for Laborday week end is stopping to going down while the winds are calm, buy our gas has a boatload, 6- 7 -10 Bulls, Prime, sweet meats.
    Might be that its a vacation weekend, but some guys are working really hard, making meats while they can.

Im staying outta that frackas, as theres ALOT of people harvesting up there this weekend, and I hear tell of alotta visiting and seeing old friends, all hunting together and getting the Prime stuff.......but Im going down river to hunt
    Ive gotten up some more skins and meat, but the kids have the camera chip.....shuks........Imm make a new one on my trip.

I wait till the trails are established, and so far thats looking good, and weather that stays in the 30's so I can keep carcass's whole to get me through Freeze up and darkness, till January and such, when the sun is up enough to hunt again.
    The last two weeks of Sept are lookin very good so far

See ya later.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger, I gotta ask - you refer often to "meats" - never heard that term used before anyplace I have hunted the way you use it - is that a common term within your area or is that just your own coined term???
    I would love to see that many bou - have never seen a migration of them - just random animals...
    Go get em!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

"Meats" the local term for Caribou.

Often called "Tuttu", or the plural "Tuttut", though Caribou as much, but never "Bou'".

Usually the questions start, according to the season your hunting them, "Females?" or "Bulls?" is the usuall question and then, "Where?' "How many?' and "how much gas?"and you tell them.

We call 'em "Meats" 'cause thats what were Hunting them for. The tounge is cut out and the antlers tossed aside, often in a pile. After some ageing and weathering, Old men and artists will gather them to sell to carvers and for themselfs to carve

I did make up some cuss words a bit ago when my outboard kept overheating a little while ago. 20 minutes downriver and 2 hours getting home..........shuks, it was was pissing fine, oil was good....must be carburation......When it get up here from the boat, Ille have a look with some lefty loosy, righty tighty action.....

Im heading up to the Noatak/nimi/anisak area on the 8th. Any word on animal movement in that area? I usually go a little bit later, but had scheduling conflicts and this was the only time I could fly out. Flying with Northwestern Aviation.

I have no word on the Noatak, just relaying what Ive seen and heard.

i've not heard of much action on the lower noatak but i cant speak about the upper (nimi) area. i did hear from a friend that flew yesterday that (much like last year) people are being dropped off where there aren't any caribou around for a hundred miles. prob the same transporter. i dont blame the transporter as you cant control game/migration/weather but come on. people are paying thousands of dollars to come up if theres no game in an area then move your clients. some shady transporters up here be careful. on the other hand some very good ones as well. i guess do your research. the local ones northwestern,golden eagle, ect probably more reliable than the ones that just come up here for a month and take out as many people as they can and dump them wherever. i hear good thing about golden eagle.

Jared at Golden Eagle is def top notch, don't keep telling everyone though as I will never get a flight with him. He will be to busy from all the work. Seriously he is a really good pilot, as well as a good person.

I am hoping for some activity on the upper Noatak. If nothing moving, I am prepared to go east (Selawik). Last but not least, I can look for some moose. Either way, I am just excited to be going out into the field.