Thread: First time ever duck hunting.

Default First time ever duck hunting.

I went out by myself yesterday morning, got there at 0515 , set up my decoys. I found a nice place to set in the weeds. A little past 6 the started flying all over. I even called a few in. My gun wouldn't eject the casings, so my semi auto became a single shot. But took 7 mallards, had a blast, was home by 1000, I'm definately going to do this more.
    <br><br>&nbsp;

For your first trip duck hunting, you did well my friend. To find a suitable place to put the deks and lay them out so as to bring in the ducks and to call them in all takes lots of skill and practice. Pat yourself on the butt for that one. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks,
    I was just listening to other calls I heard from a distance and tried to copy them and it worked. To set up the decoys, I looked at alot of stuff online about how to set them up.

You did that with a single shot! I have to admit I'm jealous.
    I did the same thing with my call today, I owe someone out there a beer for the free calling lesson.
    Congrats dude, I bet your hooked for life.

Yeah, I am definately hooked.
    I am going to try 2 3/4 in shells next time, the 3 in get caught up while ejecting. I have never had this problem with 3 in before. But, it is the first time I have shot 3in MAG in this gun.

Congrats man...great job. What a rush huh!!. Hope you stay hooked.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

PG...good catch..after looking at them again myself. I would say he has more than just a tfew...looks like a gadwall might be in the mix...if he does have any more pics...at least we can educate him on the species..lol...Great job to the hunter...takes awhile to get use to knowing what you have in hand...try doing it in the air. Alaska is very conservative in regards to limits on birds....wait til you go down south and hunt....one of this..two of that etc...got to be carefull.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Congrats slayer. One thing I'd like to point out though, you have a mixed bag there buddy. You have at least 2 species hanging there are including at least 2 pintails, it takes a while to get used to seeing them all brown but it's fun when the ID gets easier. Out of curiousity, do you have any more pictures of your trophies?
    Go Big Red!

Yeah, I got told by one of my neighbors that 3 were pintails and 4 mallards. I downloaded the ducks unlimited app so I can ID them better. I shot 4 lesser scaup yesterday, before my gun almost blew up. Had to use the app to ID them. I am done for a little while until I can get a new barrel. I am thinking of hitting my spot again a couple time of times to use that app and see if I can ID some bird. I will be moving to Upstate New York for a couple years soon. So I might want to learn. I was thinking about taking my bow and try and take a couple that way.

Some brands of 3" shells are 1/16" longer than others. I think my federals are longer. Same problem with my 870 on them getting stuck. Check other brands of 3" and compare lengths to the ones you are using.