Thread: Rock Guard Info?

Default Rock Guard Info?

I have a Suzuki 4hp four stroke outboard that I want to put a rock guard on. I ordered a Mac's River Runner from Cabelas, size A, but it's much too big. I think the skeg is much too small for this type of guard anyway where drilling holes in it would weaken it. The Rock Hopper looks like a better design to me, but not sure if they make one small enough for my motor without it being a one size fits all like the River Runner seems to do. Does anyone know if there are any shops in the area that carry prop guards? Any opinions as to the best type to put on a motor such as mine?

if you want to bring it all over I will see if we can tweek it a bit for you to make it all fit better, give me a call I am always close.
    I am just off the intersection of church road and pittman and my numbers below I bet I could help you
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

you will have to make one to fit as the market is not there for what you want , a plate on the cavation plate bolted on, a rod running down the leading edge of the gear box. with a U shape bar stock on the bottom of the skag with one bolt to hold on. the rod should be about 1/4 inch round stock, should work great, any person that can weld steel /iron should do a great job for you , the name prop guard is not quite right it is a gear box protector fits it a lot better, a prop guard is a circle that the prop sets in . you will loose a lot of power with it, be carfull with your eng as it has a sheer pin in the prop an when you break it you will need it the most so be carfull , every time you break it you will have to get to shore to replace it,

SID

Thanks for the info, guys, and the offer ironartist. The "Mac's River Runner" could be cut down to size, but I don't think I'd be happy with the design as the skeg is too small and weak for attaching it to. I quess I'm more looking for a design that is proven to work well. If there was one, I would think there would be a market for it and readily available. I'll give it some more thought. Thanks again!

I've got a Rock Hopper for my 25 hp Johnson and it works well. However it does change the boats handling and speed somewhat. All in all I'm satisfied with it's ability to navigate rocky waters.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !