Thread: anchorage satellite phones

Default anchorage satellite phones

I'm looking at places to rent Sat phones and came across anchorage satellite phones.

Anyone had any experience with them?

I'm looking to rent a phone that runs on the Iridium network that is as light and compact as possible. We are planning on using the phone for energency only as well as aranging an early pickup or late pickup if necessary so call quality is not super important. We are looking for something that is weather resistant enough to use in the rain.

Any other recomendations are welcome.

surveyors exchange handles sat phone rentals great people to deal with.
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

Eagle River, Alaska

I purchased a used sat phone off of craigslist and have my minutes plan through ASP. Great guy and has been very helpful, can't say enough good about him. He stayed an hour after closing time to make sure I was taken care of and that the phone was ready for my hunt. I have heard good things about surveyors exchang as well.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Surveyors has two models, the newer one is $95 a week and the lesser $75 a week. They charge $1.75 a minute, but they only charge in 20 second increments. Outgoing texts are charged for 20 seconds and incoming texts are free.

Anchorage, AK

Default Greg w/ Anchorge Satellite Phones

This is Greg with Anchorage Satellite Phones. I wanted to mention on this thread that I recently became the Manager of Anchorage Satellite Phones (located across from REI).

I have 6 years of experience in the satellite phone industry here in Alaska. The first thing I did when I started working for this company was test out every single sat phone & battery to make sure they are working properly. Also every sat phone is tested before going out on rent. I am also known for providing easy-to-understand dialing instructions. Currently working in our office is Jeff, Stephanie and myself.

When hunting I know that weight is always an issue. Especially if you are being flown in by an Air Taxi or going sheep hunting. You can see pictures of these new lightweight kits @

We SPONSOR the“Alaska Outdoor Safety, Survival, and Emergency Care” Forum

Iridium 9500: $59.95/week or $179.85/month
    Iridium 9505A: $69.95/week or $209.85/month
    Iridium 9555: $84.95/week or $254.85/month

If you RENT ONLINE enter in discount code AOS10FREE & receive $10 off your rental! Or if you call us to make a reservation please mention Outdoor Directory to get discount too.

Our Office# is 907-272-RENT(7368)

You can also reach me after hours & on weekends on my cell phone @ 907-748-0151

We are also the ONLY SAT PHONE COMPANY that offers additional discounts for hunting tips!

I am planning on going deer hunting this October in Prince William Sound and getting dropped off by Whittier Water Taxi. Have any suggestions on a good island to get dropped off at & a decent area to hunt please give me a call & lets talk hunting!

Last edited by Greg @ Anch Sat Phones; 09-15-2011 at 15:58. Reason: Font too small

I would go with Greg (Anchorage Sattelite Phones) you will get the best customer service/Deals with him Hands Down !!!!......I took a couple friends over to them with the intentions of renting a phone and they ended up purchasing instead.

Anchorage, AK

I rented from them this year for my hunting trip and it was a good experience. They made arrangements to allow me to pick up my phone on a Saturday morning. The phone worked great, was compact, and weighed next to nothing. I felt like the price was reasonable and would not hesitate to use them again in the future.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

We've rented with both ASP (2 years ago) and Surveyor's exchange (this year) here in Fairbanks. Both companies are very good, would and will deal with both in the future, depending on which way we're headed.