Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the goat stories?

Default Where's the goat stories?

If there is one thing that rarely gets posted here it's a good goat hunt story--with pics.
    Sheep hunt stories are great, but here they get most of the attention.

I posted a goat adventure recently, but I sure wish others would post.
    It would be great to read a few adventures...
    Proud to be an American!

I am leaving on a goat hunt in 2 weeks, I will post a story, even if unsuccessful. It will be my first goat hunt, should be an adventure.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

My goat hunt last year turned out to be more story than I bargained for!!!!!

The goat hunters get more active as it gets colder and their coats get thicker.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...vac?highlight=

Be safe.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Right now i've heard the weather isn't so good in Kodiak. not sure, but my pops left a night ago for his Crown Mtn hunt. He was told prior to leaving that Roland wasn't sure he could get him in with the winds.

I take off in 2 weeks for mine as well. Seeing as how I hate heights...this should be another fun experience (already did it once, and confirmed that i hate heights).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Yes, Mother Nature has the upper hand on K. What a place.
    Steve, I've been a 'go late for the hair' guy, but I'm thankful I planned and went early this year.
    As it was, I was super lucky to get on a goat when I did; the weather was beyond nasty.
    The only thing worse than 2000' of alder and 60* angle grass hillsides is 2000' of frozen alder and frozen 60* grass hillsides!

Looking forward to the stories, guys! Be safe, shoot straight. Want plenty of goat/goat country pics, win or lose....
    PS...take the crampons if hunting late!
    Proud to be an American!

I was supposed to be sheep hunting this week but my partner had to back out for a business deal about a month ago. I had the week off and he made up for the sheep hunt by telling his herring and salmon spotter to fly me anywhere on the island I wanted to go. Thought about going after caribou on the southend, but its a little early to be down there with the brush and bugs. Ended up flying down to the southend for a registration hunt Sunday night with another friend of mine. He could only hunt a couple days, but hadn't shot a goat yet and wanted one pretty bad. I gave him first shot and after a couple messed up stalks Monday he put this billy down about 5:30. Ended up being 9.25" with 5.5" bases and 3.5 years old. Me with his goat.

4 mile hike back to camp in the fog and rain, but we made it thanks to the gps. Tuesday was my turn, a couple times up the mt trying to get close to moving goats turned out to just be excercise. about 6:30 they were feeding down out of the fog. Had a 9.5" ish billy close enough to the rock piles at the bottom to try for him, but I had to sneak past another billy to get to him. As I got to the first goat he was at 295 yards, a bit of a poke, but a doable shot. I was afraid if I kept going he may spook and take the bigger billy with him, that and we had the pilot coming to get us the next afternoon. I decided he was good enough and settled in for the shot. Of course I sent the first shot over his back, but the next one took out both lungs and a shoulder. That sent him rolling my way and after a 600 foot tumble he was only about 100 yards up the mt.

He is 8 7/8" and heavily broomed with 5.5" bases and 6.5 years old.

The mt ridge from camp where we took the billies. Ended up just gutting my goat and went back the next morning to pack him out. That saved us another pack out in the dark which wasn't much fun the night before. We were supposed to fly out Wednesday afternoon, but as luck would have it the weather kept us there until Thursday afternoon. All in all a pretty fun hunt and not a bad couple trophies.

I've taken three goats on Sept. 15, so I try to stick to that for the security it provides. This year I'm going to try the Canadian border North or Petersburg. With my bow.

If I'm lucky, you'll get a full report!

Taylor

Great stuff, TB!
    Dynamite pics and billies.

Amazing horn growth for a 3.5 y/o billy. Also crazy how much bigger a billy gets in the shoulders after 5 years old!
    Proud to be an American!

No, No, No..!!!! everyone go to the Brooks and Hunt Sheep..:O) I'm going south of Anchorage here in a few. Then again next Year. One of these days I might see the "One" until then, I hope everyone chases sheep. :O) good luck and safe journey in the High Country. Jeff

Thanks TB for the writeup and pics. Is that a Kimber you have? In either case, what was your caliber and bullet combo?

Yes, it's a Kimber 300 WSM. I was shooting 180 gr Winchester Power Points. It's my deer/sheep load and not the ideal bullet for goats, but I only had three days to get ready and didn't have time to get to the range to sight in partitions. It preformed well with a double lung shot busting up a couple ribs and clipping the shoulder blade. Found the bullet under the hide on the off side so he took all the energy.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Thanks TB for the writeup and pics. Is that a Kimber you have? In either case, what was your caliber and bullet combo?

Right now i've heard the weather isn't so good in Kodiak. not sure, but my pops left a night ago for his Crown Mtn hunt. He was told prior to leaving that Roland wasn't sure he could get him in with the winds.
    I drew Crown MT in 2002 and it was quite a kick in the junk! Got caught in a nasty storm which turned the hunt into a serious survival situation. My hunting partner brought a tent that was shredded to bits in the 70+ knots of wind we found ourselves in. ended up sharing my bivy for 12 plus hours of wind blown slushy freezing rain. I have never been so cold in my life. Wind blown rain is an understatement, I never had the rain go through gortex and fill my boots until then. Many hard lessons learned on my first goat hunt. But in the end the next two days were great and I took a decent goat.

This year I have a Center mountain tag and will be heading out Next week. I am very excited, and will hopefully have a better story to tell than one about spooning with another man.

" A man will do things he's not proud of when he gets cold"
    Truer words have never been spoken. I herd that from an old timer not long ago and I just chuckled thinking about that cold night up on Crown.

Good luck gents, and be safe.

"Wow" is an understatement...AKmik. Makes you appreciate home doesn't it?
    We saw one long night of 70 knot winds on this last hunt and very thankful we had 'best of the best' mountaineering tents...teepees and siltarps would have been shredded and still blowing across the Bering sea out there...

I hunted Center, PM if you have questions.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    "Wow" is an understatement...AKmik. Makes you appreciate home doesn't it?
    We saw one long night of 70 knot winds on this last hunt and very thankful we had 'best of the best' mountaineering tents...teepees and siltarps would have been shredded and still blowing across the Bering sea out there...

I hunted Center, PM if you have questions.
    Usually I never flinch on getting good gear, but was just going to go with a MH 6 man tent (weight shouldn't be an option if we get put in at a lake on our Kiluda Bay hunt). However, my old man is bringing a "nicer" 4 man tent and since it's down there we figured we'll save the shipping weight and use it. Now I flinch hoping his "nicer" tent also means "tough as nails".

I knew I should have just gotten the Cabelas tent and been done with it. CRAP.

Absolutely, I also upgraded some gear this season. Dropped some coin in the process but that was a hard learned lesson. No matter what I always bring my bivy, 2lbs of insurance, I don't care if we plan on staying i the best tent made I never go up the mountain without it.

The funny thing is it was a cheap Slumberjack bivy that I spent about $60 on at the time here on Kodiak, so in reality it was even cheaper.
    But, it was our saving grace that night. Along with dryloft bags, capaline layers and polar fleece. I remember hopping out of the bivy and ringing the water out of my layers, getting them back on and climbing back into my soggy sleeping bag many times that night.

I may upgrade my bivy now that I think of it.

Been mulling over the Ptarmigan Bivy. Just haven't pulled the trigger, but stories like this remind me to never be "too prepared". A collapsed tent and crappy weather can become fatal in a short amount of time. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Been mulling over the Ptarmigan Bivy. Just haven't pulled the trigger, but stories like this remind me to never be "too prepared". A collapsed tent and crappy weather can become fatal in a short amount of time. Hmmm....
    LOVE my Ptarmigan Bivy,, I use 2. I keep my bag in one at all times, can't count the number of times it has saved my bag from getting wet. The other stays in my pack at all times.

My last sheep hunt we got caught up high in rain and fog, I setup my Kifaru Paratarp with annex, my buddy was wet and shivering. The look on his face when I pulled out that bivy and crawled in was PRICELESS. We kept saying "I didn't know we were going to spend the night" I told him before we left camp to always be prepared to siwash. There was no way I was going to try to descend in the fog. It took me a cold miserable night on the mountain to learn that lesson myself. I was nice and warm,, well him not so much!!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

TB, thanks for the confirmation. Its a great setup you have.
    AKmik, man you really found yourself in a survival situation. Obviously lessons learned the hard way. Thanks for sharing that "adventure" with us. Note to self............on a bivy.

i'll be in the wrangells in oct for 2 goat hunts..i'll try to remember to take pics....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was hoping Jake would chime in. Now HE has some Goat experience. If you need a guide talk to him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast