Thread: Bag Limits?

Default Bag Limits?

OK, you just picked up a bird, or other small game critter ya just popped with your scattergun, as you retrieve it you find you literally destroyed the edible parts making it totally useless to take home.
    So now the delima starts -
    A. Should that count as your limit and you go home one short?
    B. You chuck it in the bush and go on to pursue another "whatever"?

Anybody that has hunted much has had this happen - be it duck, grouse, rabbit whatever - whats your thoughts?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Count it but leave it as treat for other little critters.Of course if you leave it whatever does eat it may have a lead ingestion problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Take it home and dress out what you can, clean it up, and make soup or stew.
    Next time, change loads in the scatter gun, or wait a bit to shoot a bigger spread of shot.
    Change choke tubes, maybe?
    You Got options.

Chris

Definitely take it home and count it towards your bag limit. Otherwise it's wanton waste. I have always been able to salvage some morsels out of destroyed game. Maybe you know a trapper or dog trainer who can use the inedible parts???

Quote Originally Posted by Sightseer View Post
    Definitely take it home and count it towards your bag limit. Otherwise it's wanton waste. I have always been able to salvage some morsels out of destroyed game. Maybe you know a trapper or dog trainer who can use the inedible parts???
    Not wanton waste if the remains are deemed inedible.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Not wanton waste if the remains are deemed inedible.
    The only problem with that is that you ma be leaving the "deeming" up to a law enforcement official who may not "deem" the way you do. Personally, I woudln't chance it.

Bag limits are not set based on how many they want you taking home. They are based on how many they are willing to allow you to kill. If you kill it, it counts against your bag limit, regardless of what you decide to do with it.

Count it on the bag, take it to the house, do the best you can with it down to the point of trap bait and then buy a smaller gauge/ more open choke/ smaller shot size. Several saavy bunny hunters I knew had the technique of shooting running hares with the edge of the pattern to minimze meat damage. I'm just not that good with a shotgun.

That's just one of the several reasons for edible small game I drastically prefer the .22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The only problem with that is that you ma be leaving the "deeming" up to a law enforcement official who may not "deem" the way you do. Personally, I woudln't chance it.
    My response is in direct reference to the OP "literaly destroyed the edible parts making it totaly useless".

A LEO can decide to take issue with anything, anytime requiring one to defend themselves. Stay in context with the OP, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Bag limits are not set based on how many they want you taking home. They are based on how many they are willing to allow you to kill. If you kill it, it counts against your bag limit, regardless of what you decide to do with it.
    kill it and it counts toward your bag. that's the way it is, no question or call on your part, it is tha letter of the law.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Interesting reply's - seems for the most part we all agree it should count toward the overall limit.
    I had such a incident today shooting doves - had a snap shot using a 12 ga and yes it was too close - sometimes we all make a " man, I wish I had not done that" but there was nothing left but 2 wings and a head! I did count it toward my limit and went on. However, if I understand the laws here, if I shoot a bird and it falls into heavy cover - I need to make a "reasonable" effort to find it - if I do not I can continue hunting. So, I have to scratch my head a bit when one is shot and is totally unusable vs one that is lost and never found allowing the hunter to continue hunting... Its pretty much a given if you knock one down it's history for that bird even if you only damage a wing.
    Hard to guess how many waterfowl fly off to die someplace else and as a hunter you can often tell you made a good hit - so shouldn't hits count too???
    What does the law allow in AK if you shoot say a deer, and next day you find a bear has claimed it - that would be not much different than having a bird that was not usable - am I wrong?
    Don't get to serious with this fellas - just wanting some good discussions on viewpoints - keep it lighthearted!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If I hit it then it counts against my bag limit. The amount, or lack of recoverable and edible meat is my problem.

Given that .22 rimfires are legal in AK for hunting small game, including most upland birds, the .22 is my primary weapon of choice.

I take head shots on grouse and ptarmigan which result in either a clean kill or a clean miss.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    My response is in direct reference to the OP "literaly destroyed the edible parts making it totaly useless".A LEO can decide to take issue with anything, anytime requiring one to defend themselves. Stay in context with the OP, please.
    I'll respond to what I feel like. You made a statement and I pointed out why that may be a risky position to take. It was well within context of the thread.

All thats required to take from the field is the breast meat of ducks and if its gone its gone.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Whatever you do with it, count it toward your bag limit. If the game is dead, it counts. I'm sure a lot of guys don't, but, like my grandad used to say "Your character is determined by what you do when no one is looking."

Just sayin'.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Perhaps you should send an e-mail to Craig Medred over at the ADN and see what his take is on your question.

He is a writer for the ADN on various outdoor adventures and issues. You may recall that a couple years ago he was fishing for sockeye down on the Kenai/Russian confluence. I think the bag limit was either at 3 or 4 at the time. He caught a limit, took his stringer of fish to the cleaning table, and by the time he got done, somehow he was 1 fish short. He thought a bear took it, or maybe it slipped off the stringer and just went downstream. In any event, he was now 1 fish short. So instead of counting it towards his bag limit, he went and caught another fish so he had his "limit."

Only one problem. He had been fishing near an undercover fish and game officer (maybe trooper, can't recall exactly) all day long. The trooper cited him and he showed up on the blotter. He had to eat some serious crow on that one, but in the end, wrote what I considered to be a pretty educational column about bag limits, how he screwed up, and essentially, what someone else noted above: if you kill it, it counts, regardless of what happens to it after that.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I like the way it is with bears in the SE.If you draw blood it counts as your limit even if just a toe was shot off.

What happens when you leave a bag of groceries at the grocery store? So you left a little in the field. It doesn't mean you can't make dinner.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Some hunts specifically state that a wounded animal counts as your bag limit and some don't. So for the ones that don't state that then what does it mean?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine