Thread: 95 Big Boss chains

Default 95 Big Boss chains

Sorry if this topic has been done to death...

I've got a 95 Big Boss 400 I am replacing some chains on. Anyone care to describe in plain english the way to tension them and which is the proper order to do this.

Never mind.... I figured it out thanks to the exploded diagrams on HP polaris website and spent the Labor Day holiday on my back in the yard fiddling with it.

I sold my 94 4X4 a few years back and I guess I gave the guy the manual. I looked for it to scan a couple pages but it is no where to be found. I need it too for my 6X6.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

If you need to know about replacing or tightening the chains, I am now an expert with 1.5 days experience of doing it wrong a couple of times and finally figuring it out.

1. Buy the biggest channel lock wrench you can find. (It's worth it)
    2. Loosen the 3 center axle bolts. (1/2 for disk brake mount, 5/8 & 11/16 for axle clamp bolts. A ratchet & sockets speed things up)
    3. Rotate axle with channel lock to tighten chain. 3/4 to 1" deflection at center of chain.
    4. Tighten the 3 bolts. Put some muscle into those two big ones.
    5. Repeat on rear chain. (only two bolts, an inch of deflection on chain center)
    6. Lube chains thoroughly.
    7. Buy a couple extra bolts, a couple extra chain links and carry with you with the above mentioned tools.
    I also carry a spare belt. I've never needed it but I know guys who have needed one.
    Hopefully you replaced those sprockets before installing those new chains.

I would add to aknome's directions that when you are turning the axle, you are actually turning the cast aluminum eccentric center bearing. I used a pipe wrench to turn them. Also, when you are adjusting the back and center chains, pop the bed up and use a rachet strap wrapped around the frame to compress the suspension while you are adjusting.