Thread: GPS to mark/map your property

Default GPS to mark/map your property

Anyone use a gps to mark/map lot lines or locate corners. Any advice? Only two corners have rebar stakes. The plat indicates there are no other stakes or monuments. I have bearings to follow from plat. The lot is small so i'd like to
    accurately mark the lot lines. Thanks

The accuracy of a handheld GPS is not good enough to truely set a lot line. To find your corners it should get you within 10' or so, but even that close can still leave you needing a metal detector to find them. Where is your lot?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My lot is at Butterfly Lake. I used a metal detector to find the only two marked corners that have rebar stakes. The others are unmarked.

It was a regular practice back in the old days to mark only the front corners with rebar and the rear corners with wood hubs. The lots that I know of on Butterfly are long and narrow. That makes it really easy to make a mistake for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Are you looking to build a structure? If so, it would be wise to hire a surveyor to mark your lines.

Yes my lot is narrow (100ft) and 400 +- long. I do plan on a structure. yeah I've thought about the surveyor also. Thanks

davey- It is well worth paying the money for a surveyor in the long run, especially if you plan on spending money on a building. With big lots it's not so critical, but with waterfront small lots it is.