Thread: Halibut Recomendation

Default Halibut Recomendation

My wife and I want to make one last halibut trip before the season ends. I was hoping for some recomendations on charter companies to go out with and what area seems to have the best ocean conditions this late in the summer. Our choices will be out of Whittier, Seward, Homer or Deep Creek. Thanks for any info!!

Contact Captain Pete in Homer and do a combo charter for halibut and feeder kings. Catching king salmon in September would be fantastic, and word is the fishing has been pretty good lately.

Matt at Whittier Marine Charters always does very well out of Whittier. Going out of Whittier helps save with driving time and fuel costs. His number is 907-440-9510.

Try Manns charters! 907-252-3961

Quote Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
    Matt at Whittier Marine Charters always does very well out of Whittier. Going out of Whittier helps save with driving time and fuel costs. His number is 907-440-9510.
    I second Matt Kopec
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I'll second that Captain Pete in Homer suggestion from Brian. Still halibut to be had and I've heard of people catching a lot of kings and a bunch of silvers still around, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'll second that Captain Pete in Homer suggestion from Brian. Still halibut to be had and I've heard of people catching a lot of kings and a bunch of silvers still around, too.
    Whats the latest in the fall that a guy can still have somesuccess, or is it year round?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Whats the latest in the fall that a guy can still have somesuccess, or is it year round?
    There are halibut in the bay all year long and often get caught incidentally by winter king fishermen. And some people actually target them. But about now the larger halibut that are planning on spawning head for deep water (like 700' or more). So the halibut get a bit sparse and people just don't like spending the time trying to catch them, especially when there are 5 to 30 lb. kings swimming around the edges of the bay. Personally I'd prefer to catch two 15 lb. kings than two 15 lb. halibut.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com