Thread: Indian Last East of Cantwell on the Denali???

Default Indian Last East of Cantwell on the Denali???

Looking at sneaking up to the Denali Hwy for a couple days on the Cantwell side and moose hunting. One of the guys at work was telling me most of the land on the North side of the rd for the first 50 miles is tribal land that you can't be hunted? We will be on wheelers.

Is the tribal land clearly marked? Is it all tribal land?

thanks guys, good luck to all of you out there hunting as I'm typing this!!!

google ahtna land. They are the corp there. They even have a kmz file for google earth. From what I can tell they own both north and south side of the road for 15 miles. But there are 17b trails that are in the area that are there for you to cross their land free of charge. Also they do allow you to purchase a permit to cross their land. And also they do a good job of posting the boundries so there shouldnt be any confusion.

Matt has pretty much covered it. As of two weeks ago it was poorly posted vs. years in the past. Most of the good wheeling starts past Brushkana anyway and that's all open.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to hunt the river the first 15 miles out of Cantwell of so and that doesn't sound like its going to happen now. I do appreciate the information. If anything it will be a good trip and learning experience.

thanks again

Were you going to float? Not really possible to wheeler to a lot of it. http://www.ahtna-inc.com/images/cantwell.jpg

We just came from that area and there is maybe 300 people with ATVs and rifles. Completely overrun. Since we were trying to hike hunt with bow, it was pointless. We just left.

I'm hoping giving it a week it will quiet down a bit and a few new animals will come out of the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by btrow View Post
    We just came from that area and there is maybe 300 people with ATVs and rifles. Completely overrun. Since we were trying to hike hunt with bow, it was pointless. We just left.

Quote Originally Posted by btrow View Post
    Not exactly true. We were just 3 miles off the road hunting several days in a row and pulled a couple caribou up near the 4500' elevation mark on the first day of the hunt, didn't see any people either other than all the rigs zippin' around on the highway.

I agree totally. That area is HUGE and 300 guys could disperse with no problems.