Thread: Haul road caribou

Default Haul road caribou

I'm new to AK and was wondering if driving the haul road for caribou was a worthwhile hunt. I would mainly be hunting in the 5-mile zone, but I would pack a rifle just in case I wanted to hike to the outside of it. What area of the road is the best spot to hunt? I was thinking a bit north of the Jim river. Does anybody know if there are any bou in there?

Go further north until you find caribou. Right now there are bou just north of Toolik and just north of Pump 2. Jim River is too far south.

What area of the road is the best spot to hunt?
    I wouldn't hunt on the road since it is illegal. I'd at least get off the shoulder and look at hunting on the tundra or river bed. You just have to find the bou and figure the best way out to them. Make sure nobody else is stalking them or set up. You can also get a ways off the road if you see bou moving through and wait in ambush.

Good luck.

I am looking to go up the haul rd myself, I am looking for someone to go with and split costs?? I have never been up there before.. My schedule is really open let me know if you may be interested??
    Thanks

Seth Smith, I just returned from the North Slope three days ago. We saw many small groups of caribou (three to seven animals) from the road. I assume you are primarily an archer for this hunt. You can drive the Hall road looking for animals but that is also the idea of other hunters. You have to first sight the animals and then make your stalk. The caribou are very nervous at the sight of trucks slowing-down or stopping. Your driver should let you off above or below the animals. You will be moving from the side for a possible shot. You should be prepared to crawl on the ground for the last 200 yards. If you attempt to approach from a standing position, this will only minimize any chances of a successful shot. Move forward only when the animal is distracted and not looking at you.
    I would give serious thought to crossing the Sag river at least one or two of the channels. The river has three to four channels in certain places. The western channel was approximately two and a half feet deep with no strong current. I understand the eastern most channel is the deepest and strongest. There are several animals who favor the island between the channels. You can move in the area, find a good place and just wait. If y9u have any specific questions, just ask. Jojo

Seth this was the first year I hunted the haul road for caribou. I hunted the stretch between Pump 2 and Deadhorse. I was Blessed with a cow, and had a few good opportunities for bulls. My biggest hurdle to getting close enough to the bulls, unfortunatly were other hunters. One stalk in particular was interrupted by one guy running after the bull and shooting 100 plus yard hail mary's at the bou I was stalking. Most of the hunters were cool. they would see that you were stalking an animal and would move on to a location that wouldnt spook it possibly getting an opportunity for a shot if and when it saw me. I had no problem with these hunters, but it was the previously mentioned hunters that gave my experience a "russian river combat fishing" flavor. I am a novice at bow hunting and even more a nubee at Caribou hunting, but what worked for me in the end was hiking off the road as far as it took to get away from the crowds. Overall the whole experience was amazing. Hope this helps.

I just returned from the Haul Road a few days ago. There were small bands of caribou between pump station #2 and Franklin Bluffs. I made it to 80 yards crawling before I was ousted by a cow. As the guy before said small groups of 5-14 I saw. The largest was about 21 but they were over a 1/2 mile off the road and there was no place to stat a stalk, the snow did not help either. I got up to within 37 yards from 5 musk ox just to look at them, they do not spook to easily. I did not observed any bears or wolves on this trip. The wind had picked up on the last day but as always it is beautiful up there. Good luck and stay safe.

There is an annual thread dedicated to this hunt. Read this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Report-Thread and it should answer most of your questions.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Is there snow on the ground right now? Hows the river level on the Sag?

is anyone headed up around October 18