Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do explain to a now Alaskan why the large caliber for bear

Arrow how do explain to a now Alaskan why the large caliber for bear

I was asked this question about the choice behind one caliber's i have in walking around the woods caliber and why do i wear it when we are walking around in some of the places where we have to go to dureing some of the places dureing the day . the pistol is a S&W 500.cal revolver with 4.inch barrel

As i explained to the person i do not really hunt anymore and the large caliber revolver are more for dealing more with a bear encounter than anything else if i encounter one when i'm walking around in the woods some day's because of my work now . .The revolver & chest holster is allway in the car or truck i drive in a duffle bag that i keep with me all the time when i'm at work walking around on some of the places i have sent to talk to these people ..

One of the gentlemen i worked with was trying to tell the person asked about the caliber i had selected for my walking around in the woods revolver and the person who s never really been outside the lower 48..

I and the other person in the vehicle wed morning we had tried to explained to the gentlemen that you can turn the corner on some of the places out in the woods and there is a bear or another large dangerous animal that you might have to deal with right then and there so it better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it ..

To me it seam that some of the socalled field people have never really understood the fact that this animals are dangerous and can hurt you in a second's .. The person asked me if bear spray would not be a better deal sometimes than a large caliber revolver

Ya that guy is an idiot... everyone knows the only way to kill one of those bears that are ALWAYS eating everyone is with a rocket launcher, .50 cal rifle, grenade, tank, or maybe an atomic bomb... Besides have you ever seen a bear get sprayed with pepper spray, it doesnt even phase them...

Just explain to him you've got pepper spay on your bullets and it works much better than pepper spray in a can. Once sprayed on bullets as a delivery method the shooter can't get it in their eyes; AND the bear feels the effects immediately regardless of wind direction.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm right there with you regarding the large caliber in case of bears. SW .460 in my case. As far as the gun vs spray question though, it isn't a one size fits all answer. In the hands of a capable, trained person, a handgun is probably a very solid option, and the one I pick for myself. In the hands of an untrained person, bear spray is the clear choice. I would say that there are probably far more people around that would be a lot better off with spray since they will be more likely to actually use it if needed. If they aren't confident of their abilities or trained with a handgun, it won't do them any good and could do a lot of harm to them or others around them.

Read some of your threads from a couple years ago.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...weapon-battery
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Henry, are you from Ukraine?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I don't spend much time telling some one why I choose to carry a gun unless I think they are really interested in being responsible for their own safety. If they are interested in learning then I tell them bigger is better. A heavy weight hits harder then a light weight!

No I'm from the Texas .I'm dyslixia and i never reall got the propler schooling for the learning problem i have now intill i was much old. When i'm tired and not at my best at time's it heck at time when i'm trying to put propler sentences togerther .My day started at 10 pm the night before and it went intill now and i was on my lunch break when i wrote the post ..
    The problem i'm having it that some of the people i have to work with are the tree hugger's type and they are pain in my butt area when i have to work with them.

Most of the other state agency i work with are pretty good about our personal safety in the woods when we are doing our checks for my work .When i have to work with out of state federal personal and they are not the best people to have to walk around in the backwoods with .
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Henry, are you from Ukraine?

Just tell them you pack a 50 because they don’t make a 51!

Had the bear spray talk just the other day with a guy “why do you pack that cannon when bear spray works better?” My reply was: well you can tryst your life to a condiment caned in China if you like but I’ll be dialing 460 on my Smith and Wesson!

The only person I know who used spray only succeeded in making himself blind for hours in the vicinity of bears . . . he said it heart so bad at first he wished the bear would go on and eat him. Then nearly died of exposure wandering around blurry eyed because he couldn’t find his way a mile back to the truck. He’s a firearms convert now, packs a 454 and before he was one of them anti-gun nut jobs that wouldn’t allow guns near him.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Bear, thinking to himself: "Fresh peppered fisherman...my favorite!"

That morning we had gone over the safety briefing with him about moving around in bear country and how we are going to deal with walking on the trails that morning ..My Agency was asked to lended a person to help out and my boss did he sent me to help hem before leaving for Az to do a follow up on another case we are working now ..What basically happened we had to go to one of the small island's in the area and we flew a float plane out to the place to interview this one person that need to interview ..

When we where walking on the trail going up to the person house the gentlemen was a pain in the butt and could not understand the reason why we where stoping so many feet from the person cabin there on the island and yelling out hey the cabin or when walking down the trail we where stopping and listening for movement in the bush as we walked down the trail

Those hour's i had to spend with him was like beening locked into a car with a teenager who could not think for himself at the time

Big and slow (bullets) tend not to ruin meat with bloodshot etc...
    Around these parts the sound of a gunshot is a dinner bell for the big brownies too (Kodiak).
    If you keep your eyes, ears and nose open while in the woods you can prevent many problems.
    Making a lot of noise can help keep the number of surprise encounters down as well but does not work well with hunting.

Why a large caliber? The little ones don't work as well. Why a gun at all, personal choice. There are sound arguments for and against both guns and spray. I don't begrudge anybody their choice, I just ask what they are comfortable with when walking with new people in the woods. It makes for good conversation though. If you are proficient, and like guns, then the big 50 cal seems just right. If you have ever stared down an angry bear, it does not seem nearly enough. I personally buy guns that are fun to shoot and use them as a tool only when needed for hunting and DLP.

As i tried to explain to the gentlemen that i do not want to have me hurt or the people i are with at the time of the encounter get hurt and if i have to shoot i want to put the animal down as quickly as i can in the encounter .The problem i have run into is there way of thinking about wild life and there socalled encounter's with them and they bring the socalled lower 48 way of looking at the animals into the Alasakan bush .

I'm not experience enough in the Alaskan woods to say that i'm a great person to be walking around in the Alaskan bush totaly alone just yet along with i'm totaly comfortable with how and what the animal do when you encounter them in the back country when i have to perform my job for the state .

I still in my learning phase of how the bush work's there in the diff part's of Alaska and it way's and when i'm out on the trail's with older bushwise personal who work out in the bush alot and i'm in keep my mouth shut and my eye's & ear's are open when i work with them to pick up any knowage that they are passing along to me ..

The problem with the guy was it not going to listen to anythng you said to him because he was as he put a expenienced outdoorman's and he knew how to handle wild animals because he did that way all the time down in the Lower 48 back country

I know that you had to be there -- and the man you were talking with sounds like he has a closed mind -- but I do think that the last point was legitimate. Quite possibly bear spray would be a better choice in some situations. If he were asking a real question, that would be a fair thing to ask.

However, you have a legitimate response, too, and he should respect that. I like your viewpoint best, by the way.

Norm
    ___

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    I was asked this question about the choice behind one caliber's i have in walking around the woods caliber and why do i wear it when we are walking around in some of the places where we have to go to dureing some of the places dureing the day . the pistol is a S&W 500.cal revolver with 4.inch barrel

To me it seam that some of the socalled field people have never really understood the fact that this animals are dangerous and can hurt you in a second's .. The person asked me if bear spray would not be a better deal sometimes than a large caliber revolver

i do carry bear spray sometime but the area we where going into i felt that a large caliber revolver would be a better choice in which to deal with some of the bear's that i have encounted before and they where not going to back up from a human contract because of the time of year and them putting on there winter wieght ..

I and another person had a encounter with a bear that was not going to be stoped from going into he person trash can and the bear was going to stand his ground intill he was finished with his food .

Plus i have been keeping my eyes & ears and mouth shut when around the long time field personal and how they learned to deal with socalled problem animals that they have encountered in there work .So when i working with them i try and follow there lead when we are walking in the wood's or going to a person who house is located off the normal path and we have to approach the place and having some dealing with a few people who not so happy to see us because of the them doing illegal thing's .

So i have learned something's about Alaskan wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Just explain to him you've got pepper spay on your bullets and it works much better than pepper spray in a can. Once sprayed on bullets as a delivery method the shooter can't get it in their eyes; AND the bear feels the effects immediately regardless of wind direction.
    That's hilarious, ....I'm rubbing some on my bullets first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Ya that guy is an idiot... everyone knows the only way to kill one of those bears that are ALWAYS eating everyone is with a rocket launcher, .50 cal rifle, grenade, tank, or maybe an atomic bomb... Besides have you ever seen a bear get sprayed with pepper spray, it doesnt even phase them...
    I do know this for certain, lead projectiles buck the wind better than pepper spray and in some locations in AK wind is a constant issue especially along coastal areas. There has even been times that I couldn't deploy it at arms-length on alcohol-fueled miscreants that needed it to help them into a pair of handcuffs because it was hissing and blowing at the time.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    The problem i'm having it that some of the people i have to work with are the tree hugger's type and they are pain in my butt area when i have to work with them......
    Google articles on that group of teen boys on that 30 day hike across AK who walked into a Grizzly with a cub.
    Start here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/us...ACKST_BRF.html

Then always make your anti-gun co-worker walk first.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by b79holmes View Post
    Google articles on that group of teen boys on that 30 day hike across AK who walked into a Grizzly with a cub.
    Start here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/us...ACKST_BRF.html

Then always make your anti-gun co-worker walk first.
    Bill
    As much as i wanted to i was told by my boss to keep the person between us when walking down a trail .I just got a email from one of the other person who was with me and found out that the person was allmost mauled a few day's ago when the person took off from the campsite and did not tell anyone where they where going and they heard a large scream come from the river area and saw the guy running up the trail back to camp site .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast