Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening day, overrun by ATVs.

Angry Opening day, overrun by ATVs.

I went out at 5:30 yesterday morning, parked the truck, walked about 3/4 mile off the road to a beaver pond I'd staked out on State land earlier in the summer (unit 20B, outside the Fairbanks Mgt. Area). There's a pretty wide game trail, but nothing more to get in there. All went well for the morning - I saw two cows with calves, one grizzly passed by, and I got one distant response to some brush scraping and grunts. But it all ended after noon. Around 1:00 pm, the ATVs started showing up. 7 different riders with gun scabbards on their ATVs ran down to the beaver pond, found they couldn't go any further, turned around and came back out, and one of them - a young teen with no muffler on his machine - made three trips in and out. I don't think any of them knew I was there, even though they passed within 50 feet of me.

I want to put some meat in the freezer, but I'm too disgusted to even go back out there today. I don't have the time or resources to fly out somewhere and get away from everyone, and I'm pretty much stuck with day trips in 20B. I know they have just as much right to hunt there as I do, but there's a difference between hunting and busting through the brush on a noise maker. How far do you have to go to get away from the yahoos who can't tell the difference. Any guesses what kind of response I'd get if I put up signs saying "Quiet please: hunting season is open."
    Last edited by ironsights; 09-02-2011 at 10:37. Reason: correct typo

Good luck with that. Like you, I'm a hiker/ hunter, and don't own a four wheeler. Park your truck IN the entrance to the trail so the morons, and I use that word in the kindest way, on the four wheelers have to WORK to get past your rig. Most won't get out of the seat to do it. On the up side, the moose I watch are usually unfazed by most noise unless its really close.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

You go hunting next to a major atv trail and you expect to not have problems with atvís and you call them morons. You got to be kidding. Is there no one with common sense anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    You go hunting next to a major atv trail and you expect to not have problems with atvís and you call them morons. You got to be kidding. Is there no one with common sense anymore?
    A wide game trail - single track - is not a major ATV trail. At least not to people with a little common sense.

With all the orv free zones in this state a couple smart guys like you two should not need to fly out or impead other hunters to find peace and quiet.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Like others suggest: Have you considered hunting in areas with ATV restrictions?

I've been out so many times this year with the noise maker and have seen little traffic and little game. Most of the game I've seen has occurred when we stopped for lunch, camp, or other little breaks.

It sounds like you have a good spot. If you you're willing to share the location, ...I'd love to add it to the list of places for possible exploration.

Default ATV restrictions?

I don't know of any areas around Fairbanks that have ATV restrictions except the State Parks.

As for impeding other hunters, I guess that depends on which side of the fence you're looking from. In my opinion, they impeded my hunting. And, in my opinion, they weren't hunting any more than the people who drive up and down and up and down logging roads with a rifle hanging out the window.

As for sharing the location - you're funny.

Well said Ironsights!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post
    I don't know of any areas around Fairbanks that have ATV restrictions except the State Parks.

As for impeding other hunters, I guess that depends on which side of the fence you're looking from. In my opinion, they impeded my hunting. And, in my opinion, they weren't hunting any more than the people who drive up and down and up and down logging roads with a rifle hanging out the window.

As for sharing the location - you're funny.
    I've harvested a couple moose within 15 miles of Fairbanks on foot and never saw an atv. Maybe things have changed in a couple years. One actually died on an atv trail so retreival with the pickup was a snap. Granted fuel prices being out of control might be keeping people close to home. Good luck
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

You have to understand that probably 40% of the people who are "hunting" are just using it as an excuse to carry a gun while they ride, boat, fly, etc. They generally have little understanding of how to hunt, little expectation of actually harvesting an animal, and near zero concern for other folks who happen to be hunting on foot in the area.

Have pity on them, for they know not what they are doing.

As good hunters and Sportsmen, lets not encourge illegal or unethical behavior. It's State owned property, they have a right to ride through as long as they don't try to hinder your hunt. You just can't stake out a piece of State Owned property and say "No one Else can hunt here." Nor, can you reasonably park across the entrance to a trail to stop people from using it.
    And no I did not use my four wheeler to get my moose. But yes, I did harvest one by legally "road Hunting" Chena Hot Springs Road. Already cut up and in the freezer. If you are sitting quietely on a spot hunting and someone comes near, the "safe" thing to do is let them know you are there. Heck, I was once six miles off of the Tanana River on a murine pond in a temporary ground blind and had another hunter walk in to "my spot". It happens, handle it calmly and don't have a cornary over it.

Just my rant,
    Chris

I think there should be regulations in every state. How about ATV use only for game retrieval? Bet you foot hunters (myself included) could have a lot more peace and quiet!

I think if you let them know your presence then 8 out of 10 times they will not be back. As for the loud atv that came back several times I bet if you would have let them know you were there they may have left the area, or maybe not. Some people just don't care. I ride an atv and if I find another hunter then I back out. My Vinson is very quiet and I have rode up on several game animals that didn't care that I was there. We can't get into an "us and them mentality" or we will all lose. There are some that have disabilities that prohibit them from walking for great distances. We all need to get along and tolerate each other. Like I said if they would have known you were there I am willing to bet they would have left the area. I know I would have.
    I am headed out tonight with my ATV. Good luck to all.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    You have toVeryvery understand that probably 40% of the people who are "hunting" are just using it as an excuse to carry a gun while they ride, boat, fly, etc. They generally have little understanding of how to hunt, little expectation of actually harvesting an animal, and near zero concern for other folks who happen to be hunting on foot in the area.

Very very true

In my opinion, they impeded my hunting.
    Are you really serious?... you saw game, they possibly did not. You saw them ... and indicate that they likely did not see you. You saw game, but were not pursuing the animals that you saw, nor did they see you pursuiing these animals and then do things that would hinder your efforts. Technically, I would think they have a stronger argument of hindering as you saw them.

As far as I can tell ... your account was just an account of two or more people in the woods doing their separate things.

You should hunt the Kenai Peninsula, you can't ride a 4 wheeler on 95% of it...

Maybe they should put handicap stickers on ORV's so I can tell the difference between a person who is unable to 'hunt' otherwise and a @#%!&*$#!!!!

How far do you have to go to get away from the yahoos who can't tell the difference. Any guesses what kind of response I'd get if I put up signs saying "Quiet please: hunting season is open."
    I'm sure you'ld probably just have some signs full of holes in a matter of hours.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Can't rep you Dk, gotta spread it around some but well said.

I find it hard to believe that it's a "pretty wide" single track game trail and all the sudden 7 ATV's showed up. Since you just found the place, it's likely that those ATV guys have known about it for years.

I admit that I like using my ATV to hunt. I usually ride to a place, park it, and walk. After I shooting something we get the ATV as close as we can to pack it out.

I have never had a single issue getting to good hunting land around here and not seeing ATV's and this place is covered in ATV's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast