Thread: winchester model 70 extreme weather 22"barrel

Default winchester model 70 extreme weather 22"barrel

I was at one of the gun stores last weekend and noticed that they had a few extreme weather model 70. Me being a model 70 nut I had to take a look at them. The 30-06 and the 270 they had, had a 22" barrel and a full size stock. To me it looked like the stock was to long for the gun. Now I know that is only looks, but it just didn't look right with a longer stock. Why would they put a 22" barrel and not a 24" on the new rifles. If it was not for the 22" I would have came home with one of them. IMO this caiber should be sporting a 24" barrel. Am I thinking wrong?

They do have 24in bbls in the wsm models and mag models - I am with you though as I prefer longer bbls.
    I want a 308 in the 70 but they have the 1:12 std twist rate which I think should be 1:10 for a hunting gun that guys will handload for - I can see a 1:12 in the military style guns though....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I believe 22 was standard on 270s and 06s from Remington and Win for a number of years. I could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure. The stocks have shorter forearms on the short action models, why the LA ones have a longer forearm I don't know. I wouldn't let a 22" tube bother me none on a 30-06, in fact I haven't let it bother me for the ten years or so I've owned mine.

IMHO, 22" is fine for '06 and 270s. I did have a .308 with a 1:12 24" barrel and you could get a little more oomph out of it with light bullets in Light Magnum loads but it wasn't worth toting another 2" of barrel.

The WSMs need a 24" tube to burn more powder and a 26" would be technically better...but a 26" barrel on a short action rifle makes about as much sense as earrings on a hog.

My 30-06 Remington and Ruger both have 22" tubes. I would actually prefer a 20 incher.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think the OP is more concerned about aesthetics. The long forend does look kind of goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I think the OP is more concerned about aesthetics. The long forend does look kind of goofy
    I'm guessing they use just one stock for all LA rifles... with a 26" barreled magnum a shorter stock would look strange.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm guessing they use just one stock for all LA rifles... with a 26" barreled magnum a shorter stock would look strange.
    On the other hand ever see those short forend long barreled British or German sporters?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    On the other hand ever see those short forend long barreled British or German sporters?
    I saw a .318WR that had a 27 or 28" barrel and it must have had 5 or 6 folding leaves on the rear sight...optimism at it's best!

I think those look pretty classy actually.

There is a used '06 LH Model 70 stainless on Gunbroker right now. It has been re-offered 5 or 6 times already and no one is willing to pay the reserve or minimum, likely because it is simply too high for a suspect rifle. The barrel has been cut from 24 to 22-1/2 inches -- but by whom, no one knows. Nothing is said about how it shoots. the seller claims that the "varnish" was cracked behind the trigger guard when it was put back together after the barrel was cut, but the picture looks like there are deep cracks in the wood. Seller set a reserve of $1200 and bids went to around $1150, but no further and seller wouldn't take that. Now the "start price" is $1165.

Frankly, while others may disagree, I wouldn't bid on that because I get a cold feeling about how good a rifle it is. I just bought an '06 LH 70 said to shoot great and while not stainless, it was a far, far better deal. Plus a similar stainless .338 from a seller whom I trust. Used is not a problem for me, nor is the shorter barrel.

Norm
    ___

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I was at one of the gun stores last weekend and noticed that they had a few extreme weather model 70. Me being a model 70 nut I had to take a look at them. The 30-06 and the 270 they had, had a 22" barrel and a full size stock. To me it looked like the stock was to long for the gun. Now I know that is only looks, but it just didn't look right with a longer stock. Why would they put a 22" barrel and not a 24" on the new rifles. If it was not for the 22" I would have came home with one of them. IMO this caiber should be sporting a 24" barrel. Am I thinking wrong?