Thread: Bou Mount Finally on the wall

Default Bou Mount Finally on the wall

A year ago at this time my father and I left our homes in Kansas, drove up to Tok, and were flown out by 40 Mile Air on an unguided moose hunt. We were dropped off on the north fork of the 40 mile river. Though we did not encounter any bulls, we were in the one zone where we could have a bou registration ticket at the same time. Luckily we were able to take two wonderful bull caribou back home to Kansas. Upon return I went to work almost immediately on the skulls, and made European Mounts with them. Eventhough the skulls have been done for some time, I figured some of you would like to see how nice a mount can turn out without using a taxidermist. All I did was boil the skull slowly. And then bleached it with 40% peroxide(its what they use to bleach hair in beauty shops)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the post harvest photos

here is a close up, and my bou on the wall

MFOX, nice job on the caribou skulls. I bet it was a great trip and hunt since you and your dad went. How was the drive to Tok? I want to drive it myself. Thanks for the pics and story.

Nice job. Thanks for posting your results.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    MFOX, nice job on the caribou skulls. I bet it was a great trip and hunt since you and your dad went. How was the drive to Tok? I want to drive it myself. Thanks for the pics and story.
    The drive was half the adventure. we did find soe misfortune on the way home, and my father had to buy a new truck in cananda. Other than that it was worth it. Northern British Columbia and the Yukon is a beautiful drive

Quote Originally Posted by MFOX View Post
    The drive was half the adventure. we did find soe misfortune on the way home, and my father had to buy a new truck in cananda. Other than that it was worth it. Northern British Columbia and the Yukon is a beautiful drive
    A NEW TRUCK? I bet that took a bite out of the kitty! Oh well, as long as you made it safe and sound. Oh, and the meat and horns arrived safely. Thanks again

Nice job!! Congrats. J.

Nice 'bou; it looks great on the wall.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I remember that post! Good lookin' bulls there....

Did you do the N. Fork float or did they take you into the Champion Creek area? I've hunted there before and I sure love that country. We shot a nice moose in there and never even saw a caribou...go figure
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Did you do the N. Fork float or did they take you into the Champion Creek area? I've hunted there before and I sure love that country. We shot a nice moose in there and never even saw a caribou...go figure
    We didn't float. We were dropped off about 5 or ten miles upstream from the Joseph landing. As for moose, all we saw were some cows, but some day we will return to make another attempt

Nice mounts - I have started doing the same with deer - only so many ya can afford and find room for in conventional mounts!
    I, too, enjoyed your stories from last year.
    Good luck on that next adventure!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

PM me where you are in Kansas. I also live in Kansas and am going moose and bear hunting Sept 7th - Sept 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    PM me where you are in Kansas. I also live in Kansas and am going moose and bear hunting Sept 7th - Sept 21st.
    slickmcit, I have sent a pm