Thread: Winchester 94AE .44 mag Trapper issues

Default Winchester 94AE .44 mag Trapper issues

Looking for some advise with my .44 mag model 94. The issue I'm having is this: Pull the trigger with a round chambered and CLICK! Pull out the round and there is a dimple in the primer. If I drop the hammer a few (sometimes 4 or 5) more times it'll touch off. I pulled the bolt out, removed the firing pin and cleaned the crap out of it. Any ideas on the cause? Any ideas to fix the issue? Am thinking about ordering a new firing pin and hammer spring for it, but havent had much luck finding parts for it on line. Any tips would be greatly appriciated.

is it just happening with one type of ammunition? If so it might be a primer issue, or an issue with the seating depth of the primer etc. If not i will bow out to the gunsmith pros here, but if it is the gun you are probly on the right track with new springs etc, and Brownells and Midwayusa usually have a good amount of gun parts to choose from or find what you need.

Good luck with the fix,

Cheers,
    Fin

Make sure that the "fingers" on the hammer strut are engaging the hammer and not slipping off or rubbing on the inside of the stock. Ran into one years ago that was doing both. The fingers on one side were slipping off the hammer and would then scrape along the inside of the stock. That will slow the hammer down enough that it won't fire. If something needs replacing let me know, I've got parts. Your firing pin and hammer spring are probably fine, unless the spring has been clipped or shortened.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."