Thread: Swamped outboard. What do I need to do??

Default Swamped outboard. What do I need to do??

So my father in laws 2004ish 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha got completely submerged in tidal water. Went through one tide cycle. Was NOT attempted to start after.
    No owners manual.
    So what do we need to do?
    Drain carbs, change all oils, pull plugs & spray cylinders with WD-40, ...???
    Anyone have any idea what the recommended oils are for crankcase & lower end?

Also, battery was submerged. Do I need to drain it & replace eloctrolyte?

Thanks...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Same theory as a sunk ATV. Drain water from carbs, drain oil from crankcase, pull plugs and turn over slowly to pump out any remaining water. Refill crankcase and start. Allow to idle for a few minutes. Drain oil and replace. Repeat until the oil is not cloudy with water.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I worked at a marina in Sitka as a kid. If a customer's boat didn't get pumped and the motor got sunk, they would bring it in and the standard procedure was to leave the motor in a freshwater tank or creek for a day. After that you we drained and flushed everything. If i had to do it today I would use a whole butt load of WD40 after soaking and draining. That WD is a real water displacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    So my father in laws 2004ish 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha got completely submerged in tidal water. Went through one tide cycle. Was NOT attempted to start after.
    No owners manual.
    So what do we need to do?
    Drain carbs, change all oils, pull plugs & spray cylinders with WD-40, ...???
    Anyone have any idea what the recommended oils are for crankcase & lower end?

Also, battery was submerged. Do I need to drain it & replace eloctrolyte?

Thanks...
    If the battery is dead toss it out....if it still has power it's good to go. Most times the electrolyte will not come out while submerged. Saltwater is conductive and it will basically short the battery.

As for the motor, I hope you did not let it dry. The best thing is to keep it submerged till you are ready to go to work. Then start draining fluids and flushing. As for the flushing using diesel fuel thru the crank case, cylinders or where ever else that contains oil and you need to get water out. Use air to blow things out and spray with WD or any other favorite oil, even two stroke oil. 2 stroke in the cylinders won't hurt. All wiring connections need to be pulled apart and cleaned, dried and then coat/fill with dielectric grease. Same with any places that had bare wires.