Thread: Duckworth boats...any thoughts/opinions??

Default Duckworth boats...any thoughts/opinions??

I was just perusing the local stock at Dewey's today and have to say for the money the Duckworth's look pretty nice, and a little more aggressive in the deadrise than most of the other boats around. I know nothing about their rep, though, and thought I'd check and see what everyone else knows/thinks....

They are good boats, solid reputation, built strong, and been in the boat business a long time.
    I don't think you could go wrong.
    BK

I used to have a Duckworth jet boat and it was great. Good quality and a strong boat. It sounds like you are talking about an ocean boat through. They, like many other manufactures added ocean boats on to their line. I remember seeing one at a show with plastic thru-hulls, which may be fine but not as strong as welded thru-hulls. In general I think they make a good boat though for a production boat.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I used to have a Duckworth jet boat and it was great. Good quality and a strong boat. It sounds like you are talking about an ocean boat through. They, like many other manufactures added ocean boats on to their line. I remember seeing one at a show with plastic thru-hulls, which may be fine but not as strong as welded thru-hulls. In general I think they make a good boat though for a production boat.
    Yeah, they have a line of offshore boats now. I'll have to research their construction, but they seem ok in general. Pretty cookie-cutter cabins, nothing great or innovative, but also considerably cheaper than many similar boats. That's why I'm skeptical more than any other reason, honestly.

I am an owner of weldcraft maveric d.v. 18.6 ft. (this size fits my needs and wants.) I was at the factory this summer at Clarkston Wa. and Bruce & Wayne treated me as a new buyer instead of as an owner and that made me feel good!I have been welding for many years in industry ie; stick,tig,mig& plasma spray arc. I've through my boat with a mirrow and light to "look at things! The same quality was visiable in the factory,and this old dog looked close. Don't mean to be a salesman, But I'm more happy with my boat after visiting their shops. Only thing you might have concern of, IMO they're using a level of building that could almost be considered "over kill" My boat is hell for stought! Not sure of Duckworth, but my weldcraft has life time warranty to me as original owner Good Luck on your decision

I dont think you can go wrong with a Duckworth. I have a Weldcraft as well, and it comes out of the same shop (so to speek). What sold me on the Weldcraft was a good friend has run a Duckworth Silverwing jet for many years and that boat was like the energizer bunny. Built tough. Also the fit and finish seemed cleaner on the Ducks and Weldcraft than other manufactor's ($0.02)
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

A friend of mine bought a 24 foot Duckworth Off Shore this summer. I asked him how it was doing and he likes the boat. He told the self bailing deck is not draining, it ends up going under the floor. He said the bow sits too low for the drains to work properly. He is going to pull the floor and completely seal it. Otherwise he likes it.

The Duck is a good ride.

I've done some more research and they do seem to be solid boats all the way around. I like the Weldcraft boats, too. I find it odd that they would screw up a self-bailing deck, though. That's pretty straightforward in my mind, and if you leave your boat in a slip unattended much it's a must-have in my book.

I've looked at the ducks and they are a solid boat. If I was going to get a production boat they would be on the top 3 list. As for people using them try calling the skipper of this outfit I believe she has a season under her belt. http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/ And if you are going to look at buying on the best prices so far I found when I was looking was from this company out of Oregon. What the local guys here want for there 26' with twin 115's you could get a 28' with twin 150's for 10k cheaper I believe http://www.maxxummarine.com/

Ken

Excellent info, thanks. Wonder how much shipping would cost....

Default So far so good!!!!

I recieved a 28 ft Weldcraft, twin 150 Yamahas this June and put 300 motorhours on it. Solid boat, handles rough water very well, cruises at 30 mph, 4000 rpm and gets 2 mpg. I am very happy with mine. The Duckworth or Weldcraft (both made at the same place) are good performing boats for Alaska waters, the Duck has more polished Diamond plate and better overall finish, but at a slightly higher price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    I recieved a 28 ft Weldcraft, twin 150 Yamahas this June and put 300 motorhours on it. Solid boat, handles rough water very well, cruises at 30 mph, 4000 rpm and gets 2 mpg. I am very happy with mine. The Duckworth or Weldcraft (both made at the same place) are good performing boats for Alaska waters, the Duck has more polished Diamond plate and better overall finish, but at a slightly higher price.
    That's a nice looking boat. Thanks for the info.

What's the fuel capacity/range? How about top speed? Just curious....

Fuel capacity is 130 gallons, top speed with light fuel load and 3 people in boat was 46mph (15x19 SS props)
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Shipping for my Weldcraft by barge was $5500, so I had a friend drive it up, for diesel, motel, and food cost me $2200 plus a few fishing trips.
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Nice! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Profishguide, This spring my wife and I are going to order a 28 duck, I haven't found anyone who is unhappy with theirs. I assume you still like your Weldcraft and you have plenty of room for your guests? Are you happy with your hoursepower? I was considering going with a single 350 (yamaha's big V8) for several reasons. Cost, fuel efficiency, and maintence. I realize I'm giving up the redundant big motor but we'd have a kicker to come back on, albeit slow. Otherwise if I go with twins, I'm thinking 225's or 250's for the spare power in following seas and hunting/camping gear. Any thoughts or opinions on my line of thinking (I have think skin if you or anyone thinks I'm jacked up here).

Fullboat, I've looked through the ducks at Deweys as well to compare them to our Hewes. They are nicer with better finishing than our boat but I couldn't justify the extra price. What is 28ft Duck running these days? Its really none of my business but I'm thinking you could get a nicer rig for a similar price or not much more. I'm thinking along the lines of a Wooly or Kingfisher. Did you look in to either one of those boats?

Also, what about looking into a boat that's a year or two old. It will be fully rigged, likely come with alot of equipment, and you can save the premium price of buying new and outfitting it yourself. I got a great deal on our boat. It was less than a year old with 70hrs and we saved something like 20%-25%. I've seen several Kingfishers and other nice Aluminums for similar prices as a new Duckworth. For example here's a nice one http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3092830798.html. If you wanted a Wooly, they rarely show up used so I'd call them directly and ask them the cost to build exactly what you're looking for. I'd bet it would come in close to the same price. Just a thought.

PatrickL, I've gone round and round on this with myself making some of the same arguments you pointed out. 150K is roughly where this boat will come in at, likely a bit more (not counting shipping). I've bought used and bought new and thought at the time, never again will I buy new. But, I took good care of her and when I sold it, I did pretty good all things considered. With this boat, as I started adding everything I wanted, not to mention 0 hours, full warranty, and the fact that the Duck and Weldcraft 28 is still a 102" beam, I just kept going back to a new boat. I still can't find any used (Ducks) yet, despite searching all over the US. I'm sure they are out there but I cant find them. I looked real hard at the kingfisher (my wife's favorite cabin lay-out) but I don't want to go to a 9'6" beam. I've looked hard at the Wooly too but I really like the lines of the Duck. I have to say, customer service is second to none at Wooldridge, all my interactions with them have been very positive. The hull/deadrise was the final reason I chose the Duck over boats like the hewes. I grew up banging around S.E. Alaska chop and I'm becoming less tolerant of the pounding so anything I can do to minimize it, I'm all-in. Bottom line, if I could buy a used 28 Duck, I probably would so if anyone out there knows of one, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    PatrickL, I've gone round and round on this with myself making some of the same arguments you pointed out. 150K is roughly where this boat will come in at, likely a bit more (not counting shipping). I've bought used and bought new and thought at the time, never again will I buy new. But, I took good care of her and when I sold it, I did pretty good all things considered. With this boat, as I started adding everything I wanted, not to mention 0 hours, full warranty, and the fact that the Duck and Weldcraft 28 is still a 102" beam, I just kept going back to a new boat. I still can't find any used (Ducks) yet, despite searching all over the US. I'm sure they are out there but I cant find them. I looked real hard at the kingfisher (my wife's favorite cabin lay-out) but I don't want to go to a 9'6" beam. I've looked hard at the Wooly too but I really like the lines of the Duck. I have to say, customer service is second to none at Wooldridge, all my interactions with them have been very positive. The hull/deadrise was the final reason I chose the Duck over boats like the hewes. I grew up banging around S.E. Alaska chop and I'm becoming less tolerant of the pounding so anything I can do to minimize it, I'm all-in. Bottom line, if I could buy a used 28 Duck, I probably would so if anyone out there knows of one, let me know!
    Certainly all good reasons. Alot of buying a boat is personal prefernce. Im a huge fan of the wooly boats. If i could trade my hewes for one Id do it yesterday. That being said Id also go for a glaciercraft bayweld seasport pilothouse . Theres certainly nothing wrong with a duck. Your not finding them used because they havent been out very long. If thats the boat your set on then go for it. Maybe a member here has one so you can go for a ride and see how you really like it. Best of luck for sure and if you have any interest in a hewes let me know. Id be happy to let you check her out. Keep us posted on what you get and how you like it. Im always in the market to trade up..