Thread: anchoring overnight in river current question

Question anchoring overnight in river current question

I will probably be anchoring overnight in a river/estuary with a decent current and want to prevent any chance of my boat swinging up onto an adjacent mud flat at low tide. My boat is a 30' V hull with a 3' draft. The thought of inadvertently laying the boat on its side and then have the tide come in is a scary thought! I thought after anchoring from the bow, I could also then anchor from the stern and do all of that at high tide with a decent amount of scope on the stern anchor. So, I guess my question is, will this method work or is there some other way anyone can suggest? Thanks for the help!

So I take it the channel is not big enough to swing with high tide scope when you are sitting at low tide? The thing with having a stern anchor, it is most likely going to come loose on the returning tide. Also depending on tide and current being anchor from the stern is dangerous if the anchor sticks on a hard flow.

So is it possible to get up river where the tide has little to no effect? or stage out in some deeper sheltered water?

As far as going dry, been there, done that. Did it with a 26 foot Boston Whaler with twin OB's unepectedly(twice), once coming out of Halibut cove lagoon, the other Tutka Lagoon, pretty much sat a whole lot more upright then I expected on a semi soft bottom. Now my 28' Bayliner I did on a shoreline (Esther Island) to be able to an underside inspection/change my IO prop. This was more of a hard bottom and we sat listed about 10 to 15 degrees. Basically about the same as the deadrise. Could have done a log or two to keep it more upright.

Thanks for responding. We are going to be staying at the Karta River cabin on POW and because we are not familiar with the water, I am not sure of the depth and width of the river channel. From Google Earth, it appears the tide goes up quite far and then narrows down quickly, so I doubt going up beyond the tide is an option. And staying out in the bay makes using the skiff too long of a ride, which would most likely be needed on a regular basis.

I know, or have read, that anchoring from the stern can be dangerous if there is not enough scope on the stern anchor or if the bow anchor were to come loose.

I guess if we have any doubts, we will do the safe way and anchor out in the bay. From a photo Danattherock posted earlier of the river estuary, it looks like a well-protected area and kind of wide.

Again, thanks for the help.

Rob,
    I wouldn't worry much about the stern anchor, you ain't gonna pull your stern under too easily. How big of a anchor do you have? if its a good sized Bruce you'll stay put just make sure its set good, when i fished over on the Copper River i'd anchor at Egg Island for overnights and never had any problems with my 33lb Bruce and the current screams there at times. Only thing i'd worry about if you go dry is fuel running out of the vents. If you do think you'll go dry and the bottom is mud/clear when the boat starts to fetch up on the bottom run the engine and put it in reverse so you dig a hole under the boat and it will dig out a makeshift "cradle" for the keel to sit in and you won't lay over so far. Just remember, big anchor and lots of heavy chain = a good nights sleep!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hello Steve,
    Regarding your previous post on Hurricane Irene, I was at my 90 year old uncle's yesterday in Kingston, NY and the flooding that happened is awesome. He lives 100' from the Rondout Creek which empties into the Hudson 1 mile away and with the 12 marinas that line the creek, boats were piled all over the place. Got to be 6" of mud also and if I had to guess, the creek must have come up at least 12' above high tide.
    Anyhow, back to the anchoring. I am not concerned about loosing anchor up front, but swinging been the tide comes in and ending up on a shallow mud flat. I have a 33# Bruce with 30' of 1/2" chain up front and a similar size Danforth out back I could use. My buddy suggested an anchor buoy that we could simply clip onto from the stern and that could also be used for the skiff when needed. I thought that was a good idea.

That's a real clever idea of digging a cradle in the mud and obviously it comes with a fair amount of experience. You professionals do stuff like that as second nature. Me ... I'd be running around like a girl!!

Thanks again for the help.